Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Considering Harmony Stainlessgamer's Avatar

Moba and it's potential...

One of my favorite Moba's was the original DotA mod for WCIII... The freedom they did with character creations (er ahhh fan creations) the cross overs were magnificent. Gundam vs DragonballZ vs Marvel vs DC..... OMG those were the days. And maps... some mixing Moba with Tower Defense. Somewhere along the way, in the pursuit of the all mighty dollar, we lost something. The ingenuity, the originality, THE CROSS OVERS... Imagine the game we would have today if that original design was simply improved upon and updated. The pool of champions we could select from if companies looked to a MobA as a way to further market their content. Anime/Manga/Comic, even companies like Hasbro get involved and bring the Transformers into the mix. It would become the end all be all of "who would win". We could play out the Thanos vs Darkseid, Goku vs Superman, Optimus Prime vs Gundam Destiny. Hell, Voltron versus Power Rangers...lol I'm having a braingasm just thinking about it.

Before video games, we had toys and our imagination. Moba's give us a virtual toy box and the scenarios we play out in games are like a guided version of the imaginations we had when we were kids. It's time to expand that toy box to include ALL OF THE TOYS!!!!!!

To the companies in competition with each other, what ever your industy... If you want to make history, stop competing with each other, trying to beat the other guy to greatness, and work together to create something this world and future generations, can consider truly epic. Then simply share the success.
    Last edited by Stainlessgamer; 04-19-2014 at 12:57 AM.

Re: Moba and it's potential...

I'm glad to see another gamer who remembers the dawning creation days of MOBA as DotA from WC3, had a guy in a random game tell me I know nothing about mobas and when I schooled him, then got a quadra kill, he continued as if he was entirely right *shakes head*. Crossovers sound fun, imagine Super Sentai (power rangers) vs Voltron vs Robotech vs Mecha Godzilla!

I wanted to write an argument exposing why that is an extremely utopian thinking and at the same time a terrible idea, but I can't do it without looking like a forum troll or flamer, so you'll have to believe my word on this. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Xerosama View Post
    I'm glad to see another gamer who remembers the dawning creation days of MOBA as DotA from WC3, had a guy in a random game tell me I know nothing about mobas and when I schooled him, then got a quadra kill, he continued as if he was entirely right *shakes head*. Crossovers sound fun, imagine Super Sentai (power rangers) vs Voltron vs Robotech vs Mecha Godzilla!
    Aeon of Strife in SC1 was the first MOBA

Quote Originally Posted by unilordx View Post
    I wanted to write an argument exposing why that is an extremely utopian thinking and at the same time a terrible idea, but I can't do it without looking like a forum troll or flamer, so you'll have to believe my word on this. XD
    I did the same thing, almost typed it all up, then just gave up and let the wishful thinker go about his business.
    Such an enjoyable game, too bad the devs are slow and the players are children.

Replace "MOBA" with MMORPG, Fighting Game, Sports Game, etc.

Why can't I have Goku in my DC vs Marvel fighting game tag-teaming it with Diablo and Crash Bandicoot?

Why can't I play as the Green Lantern in Age of Conan?

Why can't I get the NFL and MLB stop competing with each other so I can use Peyton Manning as my First Baseball in MLB 14'?

These aren't issues of "freedom" or "creativity". Each company needs to protect their properties and make money to stay in business. Think about what type of contract would need to be put in place for a MOBA with all these characters? Would all companies split the revenue evenly? What is DBZ only brings in 1 out of every 400 new players, DC brings in 200, Marvel brings in 150, and Starcraft brings in the rest? What if that ratio changes down the road?

Then, why is Spiderman the strongest champion in the MOBA when clearly he can not beat Superman or Magneto, etc? How do you make a game like this exist within the confines of respect to all these different IPs lore?

Considering Harmony Stainlessgamer's Avatar

simply said, this is an idea. Ok its a wishfull idea. Pointing out companies need to keep a hold of their intellectual property isn't necessary. I'm not saying they need to give it up. What I'm talking about is a collaboration. Happens all the time. Hell Marvel and DC have had several cross-overs. All that it needs to get started is a couple of people with great marketing/networking skills, to sign up with a dev team that can make a basic sandbox MobA, and offer companies a means to digitize their creations into characters to use in game. Think of them like a new type of "virtual" toy. The champs come from any and all companies that want to invest in this new found revenue stream, as they earn profits every time one of their characters is bought.

As far as how could you make it so a spiderman can beat a superman.... UM, you have to remember, its a game based on fiction. Rules didn't apply when it came to your imagination as a child, so there is no reason for them to apply here. Besides, how is it Catwoman can kick Supermans *** in IC when she doesn't stand a chance in the comics (unless she has kryptonite claws)? Yet she can in this game.

All I'm saying is, just like Xerosama said
    Crossovers sound fun, imagine Super Sentai (power rangers) vs Voltron vs Robotech vs Mecha Godzilla!
    Instead of waiting for some ****** fan made Youtube vid of what a showdown between 2 characters from completely different worlds to come out. Make it a Moba and give gamers the chance to play them out..

As for SC1 having the 1st moba. yes it did, but it wasn't nearly as popular as the original DotA mod for WCIII. And didn't have as much diversity either. Having Gundams fighting Xmen was the bomb... And back then, because it was a mod and considered fan art, companies didn't go after the mod makers with lawsuits for their copyrighted materials, instead they looked at it as free promotion. So more characters just kept popping up in the original DotA.... I think there were over 50champs, covering 6 different universes the last time i played it (over a decade ago).

All I am going to say is that you simply do not understand the undertaking of an online game doing a project like this that keeps all of the companies happy and balanced. It does not take just a "couple people with great marketin/networking skills". Online games are not so easy to do this with as it is offline games. You are oversimplifying this process. If it were as simple as you make it out to be, and as profitable as you think it could be, it would already be done or be worked on between these major companies. Don't say just because players can mod a game and do it means it is simple for a big company to do it. I once had a program called MUGEN that allowed me to enter thousands of characters into a fighting game. Just because I can do that does not mean that the bigger development teams should do or it could do it well.

Backing up Varking: There is no way you could work that share of revenue out. If they could, it would still be a disaster. A lot of people would come (mostly "young-ins"), it would be super imbalanced, and the community would be one of the worst ones you have ever seen. I'd rather go play LoL or DotA before a game like that, and that's saying something for me.
    Introducing the Crisis Classic!
    Up to date Rules and Info

I am looking for feedback on recent community events. Fill out the form here! I will read all responses even if there is 1000.

The_Dycer Guides: Updates Soon!
    The Definition of SoonTM

Dycer's Ample Amplifier Album! Check it out for help with Augments.

Dycer's Monstrous Marina Modset Manual! Use it for help with item mods.

I am not a Turbine employee, and do not receive the compensation/benefits/privileges that employees do. Currently I have a pending application to be the Director of the Putting Things on Top of Other Things Department.

I'm on Dawnbase! Check highly rated guides for great builds and tips!

"The Earth had too many men." - Dycer 2014

"KS, it is what Dycers do best!"- Dycer 2015

One only improves through quality repetition. Practice does not make perfect; only perfect practice makes perfect.

The State of The_Dycer Adress

Getting back to daily words!
    Strange word of the day; Vauntiness: Boastfulness
    If you win a spelling bee due to "Strange word of the day", I receive 2% of the winnings.
    Most Colorful Forum Signature
    I am running low on original colors!

46 No Death 5v5 games in queue without an afk this patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Stainlessgamer View Post
    simply said, this is an idea. Ok its a wishfull idea. Pointing out companies need to keep a hold of their intellectual property isn't necessary. I'm not saying they need to give it up. What I'm talking about is a collaboration. Happens all the time. Hell Marvel and DC have had several cross-overs. All that it needs to get started is a couple of people with great marketing/networking skills, to sign up with a dev team that can make a basic sandbox MobA, and offer companies a means to digitize their creations into characters to use in game. Think of them like a new type of "virtual" toy. The champs come from any and all companies that want to invest in this new found revenue stream, as they earn profits every time one of their characters is bought.

As far as how could you make it so a spiderman can beat a superman.... UM, you have to remember, its a game based on fiction. Rules didn't apply when it came to your imagination as a child, so there is no reason for them to apply here. Besides, how is it Catwoman can kick Supermans *** in IC when she doesn't stand a chance in the comics (unless she has kryptonite claws)? Yet she can in this game.

All I'm saying is, just like Xerosama said
    Instead of waiting for some ****** fan made Youtube vid of what a showdown between 2 characters from completely different worlds to come out. Make it a Moba and give gamers the chance to play them out..

As for SC1 having the 1st moba. yes it did, but it wasn't nearly as popular as the original DotA mod for WCIII. And didn't have as much diversity either. Having Gundams fighting Xmen was the bomb... And back then, because it was a mod and considered fan art, companies didn't go after the mod makers with lawsuits for their copyrighted materials, instead they looked at it as free promotion. So more characters just kept popping up in the original DotA.... I think there were over 50champs, covering 6 different universes the last time i played it (over a decade ago).
    AoS was still what started MOBAs regardless of its popularity.

Wolverine was never in DotA. People made other off shoots that fit into different universes and such. DotA itself was still just DotA champions. Which themselves were simply Warcraft characters thematically.
    Such an enjoyable game, too bad the devs are slow and the players are children.

You could maybe get one character from each company/person/who/whatever but I doubt you get a game packed with dozens of characters and IPs from one entity.