Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Letter to the Community

Greetings, Infinite Crisis community!

I want to take some time to talk with everyone about our builds, patches, and ongoing schedule. Hopefully this will shed some light on the IC Development process and the decisions we make each day as we work on the game.

First off, let’s talk about the bad stuff. This update was certainly not our best. Part of introducing new things with updates is introducing bugs, and this update did that in an uncharacteristically large amount. For our most recent patch, we targeted the most egregious bugs, and spent a great deal of time verifying our changes and our testing process to ensure this doesn't happen again.

You may be asking, “How… How!?! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN Mr. Creative Director? WHY ARE THERE BUGS? You claim to know so much, yet apparently know so little?!?”

My answer, as always, is a bit wordy and somewhat complex. I want to start it by saying, “Thank you.” I’m happy to have an engaged community like this one. It means that you’re all paying attention, and very invested in our game. Part of us pushing on our three areas of focus (listed below: balance, gameplay options, and viewability) means a lot of things are changing at once.

We really appreciate your patience while we do so, especially since we are now working on stabilizing our next major update (which has a lot of UI polish in it alongside a final™ Gambit solution), as well as working on the next major update beyond that.

We are very proud to work on making this game the best possible MOBA it can be. As mentioned, we are focused on three main areas: balance, gameplay options, and viewability. Let’s dive into those for a minute!

Balance – This is one of the most overused (and sometimes meaningless) words in games. For IC, this means ensuring that gameplay choices are sufficiently compelling, without being ‘always right’. There are a lot of times where data shows certain characters are chosen a disproportionate amount of time. Our goal is that for each cross section of choices (Champions, Artifacts, etc.) there are many legitimate choices as opposed to an ‘always right’ one. You can see this in our modification of Gaslight Catwoman’s Steam Powered Claws; we removed the bleed effect from her ranged attack which was causing her to be better at farming than everyone else she could lane against. This same line of thought is also what led to the gambit modifications. Those specific mods were underutilized before, and the map specific ‘Support’ role has struggled. The intention of these changes was to make the mods, and the artifacts themselves, more desirable.

Gameplay Options – This is the category of ongoing content. As we add in more choices, they need to be competitive with other characters/artifacts/mods in that role, while being balanced. Additionally, they should open up new tactics/gameplay options where applicable. Blue Beetle is a great example of this! Jaime Reyes is a marksman that has a unique set of options thanks to his secondary role as an assassin. His varied kit gives him more ways to fit into a group composition than many other characters.

Viewability – This is a category unique to developing an E-sport. It combines the basic aspects of readability (ability to tell what it going on by watching someone else play/playing yourself) with entertainment (the ability to get #hype as you watch a game you may not completely understand). This is where the ubiquitous “I lose my character when I play/teamfight” feedback would live. Incidentally, this is where the yellow health bar changes would live, and upcoming cursor changes as well.

We will be talking about our next major update soon. Until then, please enjoy the recent patch, with fewer bugs, and fear the impending coming of the Tyrant of Korugar(tm).

Cardell "Annuvin" Kerr

Re: Letter to the Community

Thank you for the update and the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Geck0 View Post
    Thank you for the update and the hard work.
    +1

Looking forward to the next update!

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Now we only need to wait patiently to the next person who creates a thread saying that the developers don't comunicate with players at all.

You may be asking, “How… How!?! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN Mr. Creative Director? WHY ARE THERE BUGS? You claim to know so much, yet apparently know so little?!?”
    Laughed at this a lot.

I'd like to add something to Annuvin's post that a Turbine employee can't really say, but remains true and important:

Turbine as a game company has always been MMOs. They have Asheron's call, Dungeons and Dragons Online, and Lord of the Rings Online. MOBAs are an entirely new beast for them. I'm sure they hired a slew of new employees with strong backgrounds in the appropriate fields, but if you're ever been on a team you'll know that sometimes everyone you hire doesn't mesh well, or the team has to get to know each other better, or whatever.

The point I'm making is this is a new style for them, and the balance changes on gambits are an excellent example of this. They over-buffed them while trying to make the gambits more desirable and went too far. Do you think they'll do that again? I certainly don't. Each consecutive patch, while improving the game, also improves their knowledge of the genre and how to balance it on their end, specific to this game.

I see League comparisons brought up all the time. The majority of the time I disagree with the comparison scope, but it can have it's merits. Compare League and IC at relatively similar beta stages. I was there for both. League suffered from almost the exact same issues of wacky animation bugs and overly strong items (remember Twisted Fate's ult used to globally slow the enemy team AND let him TP).

That being said, being new to the genre doesn't mean a free ticket on mistakes, nobody is saying that. All in all, I think they are handling the big issues as best as they can. We have no idea how their deployment stuff works, so demanding that they disables gambits (or bleed portal in that phase) may sound like commenting out a line of code to us, but to them it very well could be a process that costs them hundreds of dollars.

I'll leave you with one last note: One thing you can always rely on is that any company will have multiple qualified people running analysis on data to improve their sales, and a good game makes good sales. If you're having issues with believing the rest of what I've said, trust that they want to keep their jobs

I really dont mind the bugs and the OPs char/items... It's a video game after all... What really stands out to me is how TURBINE employees are constantly on those forums in contact with the community, this post being a great example of it. Only a few other games have DEVs as chatty and open about everything.
    Last edited by Grem357; 05-20-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Thank you for the input (and well written reply, Paradigm!).

I know I often lose the mouse, so anything that helps it show up (maybe it shines or blinks every 5 seconds) would be great!

I have to add in that for everything people bug Turbine about, they are REALLY doing a great job! As a beta MOBA, they are in much better shape with a more solid (AND FUN) product than others have had.
    Formerly xocgx.........vegemike is just easier to pronounce!
    Steam name is xocgx
    Steam Forum name is Vegan

Okay, well check this out though. First of all you're throwing to many big words at me. Okay now, because I don't understand them I'm gonna take 'em as disrespect.

thank u for input but mabey alitle more details on what is upcomen and stuff and its normal to mess code up with game changes but wouldnt it be nicer to offer compensation say the silver or gold coin things for the trubles with update that caused the down time off the game or something .. or may i ask u give code like poisen ivey for us poor gamers that cant wait to see how many new challenges await with next update .. also bane, lex luther, and the martion man hunter r just few the dc peeps id like to know if u are working on for the game yet