Associate Game System Designer IC_PlayByGray's Avatar

Damage over Time Tooltips - Changes incoming!

Hey All!
    In regards to our tooltips, we felt that the more important aspect is showing your maximum potential instead of showing incremental damage and then making you do math to figure out what your total output is. We want to help you as much as we can!
    In the next patch we’ve done a tooltip pass on all skills involving ‘Damage per Second’ (Damage/Sec) to show full damage done instead of damage every second. We’ve now changed Damage/Sec to read as Damage over Time (Damage/Time) in tooltips, this is the easiest change to soak in. Previously, we showed the damage you would do every time the skill would hit (which was once every second).
    Now, we will show you the total base damage and total ratio, as if you hit the skill for the FULL duration.

Now for Show and Tell! (AKA TL;DR with pictures!!!)
    BEFORE
    The Title of the row reads ‘Damage’ or sometimes ‘Damage/Sec.’ The base damage is 30 damage every second, as highlighted. The ratio is 35% for every second, as highlighted. The Skill lasts 3 seconds, you do the math to figure out how much damage you’ll do.
    https://www.infinitecrisis.com/sites...fy_image_1.jpg

AFTER
    Now we do the math for you! The Title of the row reads ‘Damage/Time’ now. The Skill lasts 3 seconds. So that means the base damage is 60 over 3 seconds. Also, the ratio is 60% because it hits 3 times, once for each second. Tooltip description also reads differently so it’s a little friendlier to understand.
    https://www.infinitecrisis.com/sites...fy_image_2.png

Please feel free to ask any questions, comments, or <3’s!

Re: Damage over Time Tooltips - Changes incoming!

I think this new system is WAY better. Its small changes like this that are lovely. Thank you guys for all the hard work!

This is awesome thanks! I do have one question though, has the tic intervals been standardized or does different skills have different intervals in which they tic?

Protector

From how i remember how the 'DoT' usually worked, which i do not think they would of been changed is that it works as a 'gradual' damage dealt instead of just 'tic counting' like say how Flash's ultimate or how atomic green lantern's ultimate (not the passive since its 'gradual and not tic') are treated as 'pulse tic damage' (it does each instance of damage via 'pulses' instead of some gradual damage over time as if the enemy was taking bleed damage thru a cosmic staff's effect).

So i guess in that sense the 'vague' DoT term could have gradual and pulse DoT variants. Since your question is about a tic interval, i believe they would still work as per second unless stated otherwise.

Less a dev can explain it better, i do not think 'tic' damage ever worked differently on the champions that had skills that worked as such. Unless we get some kind of champion that has a long duration damage skill (say 30 seconds) and ends up blasting a enemy champion every 5 to 6 seconds or something until it expires.
    Last edited by Alvienal; 06-03-2014 at 01:12 PM.

<3 <3 <3 :3

So it's gonna happen with every chmapion with skill that delas damage overtime? Like AtIvy's Wall of Thorns?
    If you are having tech issues, want to report a bug, report a player, your code isn't working or got any comment or feedback.
    GO HERE:
    http://support.infinitecrisis.com/ic.../ticketNew.asp

Submit a ticket, to do all listed above and even more.

*How To post a DxDiag

*Infinite Crisis Forum's Rules

*I'm Famous <3
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
    MY FAV STREAMS!
    Sycogenesis' Stream :http://www.twitch.tv/sycogenesis
    Beco's Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/dps_beco
    Hammerborn's Stream: twitch.tv/hammerreborn

Quote Originally Posted by Varking View Post
    I think this new system is WAY better. Its small changes like this that are lovely. Thank you guys for all the hard work!
    You're very welcome! Thanks for caring about the small things
    Any other tooltip suggestions I would love to hear about!

Quote Originally Posted by Rikishin View Post
    This is awesome thanks! I do have one question though, has the tic intervals been standardized or does different skills have different intervals in which they tic?
    You're welcome! There are still skills with different damage over time intervals (meaning not calculating once per second), those skills have not been touched in terms of calculation and tooltips.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvienal View Post
    From how i remember how the 'DoT' usually worked, which i do not think they would of been changed is that it works as a 'gradual' damage dealt instead of just 'tic counting' like say how Flash's ultimate or how atomic green lantern's ultimate (not the passive since its 'gradual and not tic') are treated as 'pulse tic damage' (it does each instance of damage via 'pulses' instead of some gradual damage over time as if the enemy was taking bleed damage thru a cosmic staff's effect).

So i guess in that sense the 'vague' DoT term could have gradual and pulse DoT variants. Since your question is about a tic interval, i believe they would still work as per second unless stated otherwise.

Less a dev can explain it better, i do not think 'tic' damage ever worked differently on the champions that had skills that worked as such. Unless we get some kind of champion that has a long duration damage skill (say 30 seconds) and ends up blasting a enemy champion every 5 to 6 seconds or something until it expires.
    You're right, gradual damage that we show periodic damage tics of. Flash's calculates at a different rate than other damage over time skills, therefore his tooltip will remain untouched, for now.
    Some are per second and some are per half second (too make it feel more like constant damage, rather than 'tic' damage)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrlucho View Post
    <3 <3 <3 :3

So it's gonna happen with every chmapion with skill that delas damage overtime? Like AtIvy's Wall of Thorns?
    <3

Yup! One that I know remains unchanged, as I've said above is Speed Storm on Flash. Currently his DoT is calculated a little different than other skills.