Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Walking Superman

Hi all,i just want to propose to the creative team about change the Superman's running animation to a flying mode,there's a lot of flying characters right now and Superman running looks pathetic..maybe the creators can change it,for example,to a running animation while use skills but when you are out of combat for a few seconds he starts flying (like lantern and the others)

pd:sorry about my English if i made any mistake or something but i really wanted to expose this idea

Re: The Walking Superman

They have actually gone through the process of Superman walking and flying during his creation. They found that having him walking showed a more physically menacing presence.
    With blood and rage of crimson red, Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead, Together with our hellish hate, We'll burn you all--That is your fate!
    What's mine is mine and mine and mine, And mine, and mine, and mine! Not yours!
    In blackest day, in brightest night, Beware your fears made into light. Let those who try to stop what's right, Burn like my power*... Sinestro's might
    In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, Beware my power...Green Lantern's Light!
    In fearful day, in raging night, With strong hearts full, our souls ignite, When all seems lost in the War of Light, Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!
    Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur, Natromo faan tornek wot ur. Ter Lantern ker lo Abin Sur, Taan lek lek nok--Formorrow Sur!
    For hearts long lost and full of fright, For those alone in blackest night, Accept our ring and join our fight, Love conquers all-- with violet light!

But I want him to run! And his running animation is not much different from Batman, are you calling Batman pathetic?

And he flies during ultimate and heat vision gap closer.

To me, Superman walking is just weird. And why should he walk around in the first place?
    Hope there will be a skin that changes his animations, like AO joker

A slow flying superman is probably worse. I hate Shazam's speed (nothing mechanically wrong with it) but when I'm chasing a loping joker at walking stick speed I want to gnaw my mouse off.
    Don't let common sense stop you.
    "They say I'm fearless, but actually I'm very afraid. Of getting beat. Of backing down. Of chickening out. That fear just blows all the others away."

It would be weirder if he was flying all over the place. I've never pictured Superman as someone that hovers constantly. That's more of a Green Lantern thing.

Superman does hover constantly, and Menacing Presence is based off of HOW you do things not what you do, if he flew but looked tough or folded his arms constantly like he normally does, it would be fine. Not that Superman is supposed to be menacing anyhow by personality, and not like him prancing around is actually menacing as well.

I strongly agree, every step he jogs is a very very small pain for superman fans, honestly he's a flying hero, everytime you see him he's flying, when he approaches villians he flies up to them and asks whats going on.

Even Angry Joe, a popular internet game reviewer who ALWAYS wears a superman shirt in 99% of his videos was confused in his gameplay of infinitecrisis that superman wasn't flying.

Depictions:
    Christopher Reeves approach - Flies up and asks questions then disarms a situation and fights if he has to.
    Pre 52 Comic book approach - Flies in and lands then asks questions and engages in the fight.
    New 52 Approach - Flies in sternly and demanding a response, and engages.

Its his method of travel, look at it from an enemies prospective, imagine the game was in first person view, and you see superman jog around the corner and start to attack you, it would just look weird at best... If you want keep the animation , leave it on Clark Kent superman, put it on a summer sale outfit, Clark Kent Jogging on the street in sweats, but the hero himself in costume, should fly, and I don't mean this in a rude or insulting way, please just let the guy fly, we all know its right, and only excuses are allowing it to stay how it is.

Already enduring Poison Ivy's new ballerina dance rather than the seductive dance that she deserved, but Superman is an icon, hell he's the symbol on the OPENING MAIN SCREEN FLYING IN SPACE *ahem* its just not right..

Animation time was used on changing Ivy and Star Sapphires dances for better or worse (Ivy worse imo), an Joker has a custom run in his Arkham Origins outfit.. this is just a middle finger to a DC icon, This very games DC Icon..
    Last edited by Nenilai; 06-25-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    If You Would Like Help With Anything
    Add me as a friend, Nenilai In game
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notable Player: Mr_Lucho (The First Advocate, he is to us as Kickass is to street heroes, friend this guy)
    Awesome Dev: IC_Celestrata (One of the coolest devs and just an inspirational person, she knows everything o_o)
    - Advocate Team -
    Here to answer questions you may have:
    BertRaccoon, BuddahMonk, Bladelordcal, Cates, Chronolinq, CH4_BrianFantana, CH4_Ron-Burgundy, C.Mystagen, Dage, F3_KTPearee, Gogollum, H2k_tSpark, Internettoughguy, Kuzon, Milutin, MrLucho, Nenilai, Nickthedevil, Paradigm, PeterPlatinum, Sacrilege, SicK.Kuma, TFX-Kirr, TgW_AgentX
    --------------------------------------------------
    Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur, Natromo faan tornek wot ur.
    Ter Lantern ker lo Abin Sur,Taan lek lek nok...Formorrow Sur!

Some of our decision-making on this is informed by a few things:

1. Our experience with working through a lot of characters showed we had a much easier time making melee attacks feel stronger for standing characters as opposed to flying characters. Superman originally flew, but felt weak and floaty when he punched. We didn't like it, and much preferred the look and feel of the melee characters that walked on the ground.

2. Our experience with our animation logic tools. We're working with a toolset that was new to us earlier in the project, and we're becoming more knowledgeable and more willing to change our strategies with them as time has gone on. So, as we move forward, we have been adding some features to characters that were not present in earlier characters.

3. Flying characters have often been a bit of a problem to make look good and interesting and like they're flying in a way that is serious and superheroic. Bobbing up and down a whole lot can look very cartoony, lots of weaving side to side can add interest but can also make things like clicking on the hero to attack them more difficult, and a flying character at X speed often feels slower than a running character at X speed. Our cloth simulation also often doesn't do awesome things with flying folks, and it has been harder to make their capes feel great when the running characters' capes feel much better overall.

We also can't really do a lot of things like letting the characters fly laid out horizontally, which most comic heroes do, because those animations don't blend back to their idle or attack animations well. So flying folks end up sort of standing up more than in "It's a Plane!"-style flying. Which can get a little old, or at least feel less awesome.

4. But, coupling #2 and #3 together, we've got some strategies now to make flying characters feel better. Not going into the nuts and bolts of it, but we now have some ways to add some more interest to the locomotions of the flying characters, so that they don't feel like they're riding an invisible train, or feel like a cork on the waves.

5. As we've done more flying characters, we've tackled some of the melee appearance issues, and I think we've got some decent solutions. We've also done a lot of work relating to game responsiveness that has animation impacts, and that work is going to allow us to do some animation stuff that was a problem before.

6. So we're going to make Superman fly. It would have been a mistake to do so prior to now, because we didn't have all the experience and implementations to make it work well, but we can do it now.

6a. Clark Kent will still run, because that's actually sort of awesome to have that difference expressed that way.

7. Animation is never over, and polish is never over. As with everything, we will always go back and improve things and add to the quality of the game where we can, while also adding the new things that the game still needs.

8. And again, when you see something that looks nuts, always say to yourself, "This $APPARENTLY_INSANE_DECISION that they made isn't a result of them not knowing the characters, or them hating comics or gamers or $MY_FAVORITE_CHARACTER... there may be something involved in this decision that I don't yet know." If you saw the early flying Superman, and his attacks, you'd have wanted him to run, too.

Community Advocate CH4_BrianFantana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Floon View Post
    Some of our decision-making on this is informed by a few things:

1. Our experience with working through a lot of characters showed we had a much easier time making melee attacks feel stronger for standing characters as opposed to flying characters. Superman originally flew, but felt weak and floaty when he punched. We didn't like it, and much preferred the look and feel of the melee characters that walked on the ground.

2. Our experience with our animation logic tools. We're working with a toolset that was new to us earlier in the project, and we're becoming more knowledgeable and more willing to change our strategies with them as time has gone on. So, as we move forward, we have been adding some features to characters that were not present in earlier characters.

3. Flying characters have often been a bit of a problem to make look good and interesting and like they're flying in a way that is serious and superheroic. Bobbing up and down a whole lot can look very cartoony, lots of weaving side to side can add interest but can also make things like clicking on the hero to attack them more difficult, and a flying character at X speed often feels slower than a running character at X speed. Our cloth simulation also often doesn't do awesome things with flying folks, and it has been harder to make their capes feel great when the running characters' capes feel much better overall.

We also can't really do a lot of things like letting the characters fly laid out horizontally, which most comic heroes do, because those animations don't blend back to their idle or attack animations well. So flying folks end up sort of standing up more than in "It's a Plane!"-style flying. Which can get a little old, or at least feel less awesome.

4. But, coupling #2 and #3 together, we've got some strategies now to make flying characters feel better. Not going into the nuts and bolts of it, but we now have some ways to add some more interest to the locomotions of the flying characters, so that they don't feel like they're riding an invisible train, or feel like a cork on the waves.

5. As we've done more flying characters, we've tackled some of the melee appearance issues, and I think we've got some decent solutions. We've also done a lot of work relating to game responsiveness that has animation impacts, and that work is going to allow us to do some animation stuff that was a problem before.

6. So we're going to make Superman fly. It would have been a mistake to do so prior to now, because we didn't have all the experience and implementations to make it work well, but we can do it now.

6a. Clark Kent will still run, because that's actually sort of awesome to have that difference expressed that way.

7. Animation is never over, and polish is never over. As with everything, we will always go back and improve things and add to the quality of the game where we can, while also adding the new things that the game still needs.

8. And again, when you see something that looks nuts, always say to yourself, "This $APPARENTLY_INSANE_DECISION that they made isn't a result of them not knowing the characters, or them hating comics or gamers or $MY_FAVORITE_CHARACTER... there may be something involved in this decision that I don't yet know." If you saw the early flying Superman, and his attacks, you'd have wanted him to run, too.
    A+ explanation as always Floon.
    Formerly Known as Hammerreborn

Come watch me at my Twitch Stream. I'm a community streamer, and I currently give away free swag every Friday and Sunday nights. Come for the swag, stay for the IC and Comics.

You can see up to date updates about times and giveaways and other events at my thread found here.

You stay classy Ron Burgandy

Can we see a clip from that time? XD