Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4 Bruisers on a team?

A few times now I've seen the other team load up 4 bruisers and of course the team I'm on gets slammed pretty hard.

I thought a balanced team could go against something like this but it seems not or the other team is experienced with the 4Bs and if they focus on 1 then Team Annihilated is the constant theme of the match.

Whats the strat for this?

TIA
    "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie."
    ("It is magnificent, but it is not war. It is madness.")

~ French Marshal Pierre Bosquet ~

Re: 4 Bruisers on a team?

I think it's because bruisers are the heavy hitters that sustain really well... So if a balanced team in your eyes is your everyday Gotham Divided team, then your squishies (ADC, "mid laner" and healer) will get pummeled first, making you lose the teamfights. Maybe Gotham Heights' meta is 4 bruisers, but I may be totally wrong about it as this is my take on the whole 4 bruisers concept.

Protector

Area of effect CC and good focus (or lots of area effect damage), plus a solid tank, I was playing GA against a very melee heavy team yesterday with a very good Atomic Green Lantern and once the CC went down the bruisers had a lot of trouble doing damage or sticking to people. Plus metallos/olympus gambit greatly cuts damage.

I'd consider a balanced GH teamcomp to be 2-3 ranged and 2-3 melee, with a good balance of damage and cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
    Area of effect CC and good focus (or lots of area effect damage), plus a solid tank, I was playing GA against a very melee heavy team yesterday with a very good Atomic Green Lantern and once the CC went down the bruisers had a lot of trouble doing damage or sticking to people. Plus metallos/olympus gambit greatly cuts damage.

I'd consider a balanced GH teamcomp to be 2-3 ranged and 2-3 melee, with a good balance of damage and cc.
    This really.
    You counter heavy bruiser comps with mobile poking tactics.

Most bruisers aren't too much of a threat if they don't get a good engage and stick to their target, so use the teams combined CC to slow them down and keep the poke safe.

Melee champs can hover nearby to take small chunks out of the enemy bruisers as they get stunned or knocked down, aslong as they are always ready to jump in and focus any bruiser that makes it to the poke. Even bruisers go down fast early game when caught on their own for a few seconds.

I can certainly understand the heavy bruiser comps being a threat in solo Q, but as a group playing a more balanced comp with good teamwork to control and slow their advance, it's actually easier to defeat them come mid - late game than another well balanced team.

You need cooldown and good CC spread across the team on GH anyways, the whole map is based on constant team fighting and the team that controls those fights best will always have the advantage.
    It's also designed to allow roles such as bruiser to play so dominantly, so if you don't have the CC to handle it they will do exactly what they are meant to do.
    If you don't have atleast 3 champs with good controls that they can band together, reroll.

Also helps to be on the ball and watch the enemy builds like a hawk (as in any match tbh).
    Moba 101: Don't focus the tanky ones unless it's CC.
    Last edited by GHR-Zumlin; 07-13-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Yeah, 4 melee tanks (at the moment 2 enfrocers + 2 bruisers isn't all that uncommon) has become a bit of a meta for pub GH games. But I think it's more of a pub thing. I think it's because bruisers are jack-of-all-trades characters who can tower dive, tank, and gap close with any opponent while being built for damage or tankiness. They're just too versatile when you can't rely on your team mates or don't know what you're going to be up against. Bot laners aside, squishies need to be a good player who can avoid getting focussed or they need to be carried into late game where their dps can take its toll, something that's difficult when tanky team mates don't know or care to bodyguard.

This explains both why Harley is so strong on GH (she's a marksman who can support herself) and why a character like Doomsday dominates on GH in a way he doesn't on GD - he has a gap closing push that can drag players off tower, a speed buff for jungle running, health adding passive and damage reflect ability to make him tanky on tower, and the abillity to build straight attk damage with his attk speed buff. He can do everything GH needs, something a lot of squishies can't claim.

But it's probably a pub queue thing. There's a surprising lack of counter building in pub queues so tank killer items aren't used to neutralise enforcers, and coordinated teams would carry squishy characters much better than what you see in an average queue. Combinations like Attrox/Sinestro would be much more viable with coordinated team mates, but if they're not coordinated a character like Sinestro can be left out to dry. Draft mode would also mean people would see their opposition going full tank and they can pick tank hunter augments with Deathstroke's Terminate and enhanced Cosmic Staff disintegration or power pen items. At the moment you can't plan accordingly which makes it harder.

Quote Originally Posted by GHR-Zumlin View Post
    This really.
    You counter heavy bruiser comps with mobile poking tactics.

Most bruisers aren't too much of a threat if they don't get a good engage and stick to their target, so use the teams combined CC to slow them down and keep the poke safe.

Melee champs can hover nearby to take small chunks out of the enemy bruisers as they get stunned or knocked down, aslong as they are always ready to jump in and focus any bruiser that makes it to the poke. Even bruisers go down fast early game when caught on their own for a few seconds.

I can certainly understand the heavy bruiser comps being a threat in solo Q, but as a group playing a more balanced comp with good teamwork to control and slow their advance, it's actually easier to defeat them come mid - late game than another well balanced team.

You need cooldown and good CC spread across the team on GH anyways, the whole map is based on constant team fighting and the team that controls those fights best will always have the advantage.
    It's also designed to allow roles such as bruiser to play so dominantly, so if you don't have the CC to handle it they will do exactly what they are meant to do.
    If you don't have atleast 3 champs with good controls that they can band together, reroll.

Also helps to be on the ball and watch the enemy builds like a hawk (as in any match tbh).
    Moba 101: Don't focus the tanky ones unless it's CC.
    So much this. As a five man group, we generally roll between different team comps just to see how we mesh together. A lot of times finding ourselves with a couple bruisers, a tank, a controller, and some damage. Often times we find ourselves without enough damage to start, but ramp and burn the opposing team down mid-game. Most of our losses can be accounted to poor team composition. Too many squishies without enough control or mobility vs a tanky, controller heavy team.

I've seen support heavy and tank heavy teams, where you simply cannot kill them. Mecha Supes, API, Ivy, Zatanna, Harley come to mind. Plus they bring a bunch: stun, knockdown, slow, root, silence, knockback, heals.

A heavy bruiser comp works really well at every level but competition because of the lack of coordination that is required to kite a large number of bruisers. With enough coordination you'll find that it doesn't work well because you'll just get kited and harassed at objectives. In solo queue I play bruisers because it's a fun aggressive play style.

If the enemy get 4 bruisers you pick Star Saphire, Nightmare Superman, Atomic GL, Wonder Woman, etc and laugh at them because they are unable to get near your carries while they explode.

Protector

I'd toss a bit more AD in there, but agree with Unilord morally.

Protector

They really only work if they can grab ground very early in the game. Where most of the carries are either not hitting hard, or are running low on Will. As time passes, unless they have some level advantages they start to get hurt, as long as the squishy team knows how to work like a team.