Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast

Champion Balance (Patch 2)

Greeting Protectors!

Here is the first of what will be many posts pertaining to Champion Balance. The goal of these posts is to give you a preview of changes we are currently testing so that you can be a part of the balance process and hopefully have a better understanding of what, why, and when changes will be coming down the pipeline.

To keep the feedback focused, these posts will only discuss the Champion changes planned for the next patch.

Before PlayByGray and I jump into it, I want to take a moment to explain the process we use internally for testing the changes we release.

Gather feedback
    This comes from a variety of sources, including: win/loss rates, forums, personal experience, and data from our Qualitative Team. Qual members are our game experts. When people ask “Do you get paid to play games all day?” they can actually say “Yes!” Spending their time mastering the game, discovering new metas, and assessing the overall experience make them experts at calling us out on our BS.

We compare this feedback to the original design goals established for the Champion.

Do they meet the requirements of their role? Roles are an amorphous concept, but generally speaking they provide a guideline for functionality i.e., an Enforcer should not be able to erase a target in a single skill rotation.

Is there counter-play? This is another tough concept, as it means more than just "can I dodge it?" Knowledge is key and ensuring we provide proper in-game feedback is vital (VFX, SFX, animation tells, etc). The player needs to understand what has happened to him/her and thus, ideally, begin the process of learning the proper counter.

Is the Champion fitting into the proper team composition? This is important for establishing kit flow (ranges, rank vs. ratio potency, power spikes, etc.). If a Champion is meant to shine in the Early/Mid phases, more of their potency should be driven by innate skill damage and less by damage ratios.

Create/Implement a Plan
    Now that we have a better understanding of where the Champion currently stands in relation to our expectations, we can create a plan to bring them in line. This starts with creating goals by which success can be measured.
    Example: Atomic Poison Ivy should have less health than other Enforces to compensate for a passive shield that recovers every 10 seconds.

Playtesting!
    Qual now plays the Champion with the goals in mind and provides feedback

This is where YOU, the Protector, can provide your feedback and influence design.

Based on the feedback, we go back to Step 1 and start the process again.

TL:DR
    Changes are planned and tested before they go live. Now YOU TOO can be part of the process!

In the Pipeline (The Technical Stuff):
    Below are the Champion changes we currently have slated for the next patch. It's important to note that all values listed here are subject to change and some changes may be delayed to later patches.

Gaslight Catwoman
    We are currently examining Gaslight Catwoman's efficacy. As a stealth-based Champion, she is ideally suited for the early/mid game phases (i.e., laning) and should plateau in the late game as enemies begin to counter her. We feel she is close to fulfilling this role, but needs a few number adjustments.

Goals:

Reduce her ability to erase a full health target with a single skill rotation at level 6 While we expect her to be strongest during these phases, we feel she is disproportionately so, given her ability to damage over time, gap close. and escape.

Reduce some of her scaling so patient/defensive players can more effectively counter her in the late game. With strong base damage, damage ratios, and attribute growth, Gascat can be difficult to effectively counter. This leads to the sensation of helplessness once she gains the upperhand.

Shift Gascat’s focus from Basic Attack damage to Skill Damage. As an Assassin, Gascat should derive the majority of her potency from her skill damage, and only need to basic attack intermittently. Her high Attack Speed makes her ideal for building Attack Speed & Critical Chance/Damage to stick to targets and reapply Sharpened Claws. By reducing the amount of Attack Speed per level she gains, this build will be less viable and return the focus to her suite of damaging skills.

Changes:

Base Attributes:
    Attack Damage per level decreased from 3 to 2.4
    Attack Armor per level reduced from 3.5 to 3.2
    Health per level reduced from 88 to 81
    Base Attack Speed reduced from .69 to .625

Sharpened Claws
    Reduce ratio from .5 to .25
    Increased Bleed damage from 30/55/80/105 to 30/60/90/120

Shred
    Damage increased from 40/75/120/155 to 60/100/140/180
    Reduce Ratio from .7 to .5

Predator’s Grace
    Range reduced from 5 to 4
    Damage ratio reduced from .75 to .65

Nightmare Superman
    Nightmare Superman is currently seeing a lot of play with the AM and PRO teams and is frequently being banned. His team utility is extremely strong and a disproportionate amount of his strength is tied to Vortex, which is nearly impossible to escape, leading to an almost guaranteed gank or save.

Goals:

Give opponents more opportunity to escape Vortex. While Vortex is meant as an impactful engage/disengage tool for team fights, its ease of use leaves little opportunity for counter-play.

Distribute his damage more evenly across his skills. Too much of Nightmare Superman’s potency is associated with Vortex, causing his other skills to be undervalued. Distributing his damage across all of his other Basic Skills allows them to serve a more distinct purpose, while Vortex can maintain its focus as a disruptive skill.

Increase cooldown of utility skills. Nightmare Superman was designed to bring a lot of utility to a team fight. While his is succeeding in that design, the frequency at which he can perform these acts was a little too strong.

Changes:

Phantom Collector
    Damage increased from 50/80/110/140 to 60/100/140/180

Vortex
    Reduced the AoE size from 250 to 200
    Reduced the displacement distance from 250 to 200
    Increased the delay before secondary activation from .5 to .75
    Cooldown increased from 13/12/11/10 to 15/14/13/12
    Reduced range from 7 to 6
    Min Damage reduced from 25/50/75/100 to 30/50/70/90
    Reduced Max damage ratio from .75 to .5
    Max Damage reduced from 75/150/225/300 to 60/100/140/180
    Slow reduced from .25% to 20%

Siphon/Infuse
    Cooldown increased from 11 to 14
    Can now be cast on Drones and Creatures
    Siphon Damage increased from 50/80/110/140 to 60/90/120/150
    Siphon Shield increased from 25/40/55/70 to 30/45/60/75
    Infuse Shield increased from 50/80/110/140 to 60/90/120/150
    Infuse Damage increased from 25/40/55/70 to 30/45/60/75

Condemn
    Reduced range from 5 to 4.5
    Cooldown changed from 120/105/90/75 to 120/110/100/90

Atomic Green Lantern
    This is a quality of life change to improve the efficacy of his ultimate. We've seen how easily certain Champions (looking at you Atomic Wonder Woman!) can effectively negate Meltdown by using their escape skills.

Changes:

Grab
    Will cost reduced from 75 to 65
    Meltdown
    Missile Speed now increases from 400 to 1600 over 5s.
    Will cost reduced from 80/100/120/140 to 100

Arcane Green Lantern
    Arcane Green Lantern’s Will costs were causing him to tap out faster than desired. Increases to his Will pool and Will Regen will put him in line with expectations of a Controller/Enforcer.

Changes:

Base Attributes
    Base Will increased from 200 to 280 at level 1
    Will Delta increased from 19 to 30
    Base Will Regen increased from 1.24 to 1.4
    Will Regen Delta increased from .08 to .17
    Last edited by IC_Hexx; 07-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Re: Champion Balance (Patch 2)

Firstly, thanks, so much, for this post... and to me, these changes look pretty darned good. I do have a question, related to your description, however: is there a chance Harley Quinn is in the schedule to be looked at? At the moment, she does not pass the "can this character fit their assigned role" test very well. She's listed as a Controller, and makes a darned good Marksman and a very poor Controller, in the current meta, at least in my personal opinion.

One With Starro CH4_BrianFantana's Avatar

Arcane Green Lantern
    Arcane Green Lantern’s Will costs were causing him to tap out faster than desired. Increases to his Will pool and Will Regen will put him in line with expectations of a Controller/Enforcer.

Changes:

Base Attributes
    Base Will increased from 200 to 280 at level 1
    Will Delta increased from 19 to 30
    Base Will Regen increased from 1.24 to 1.4
    Will Regen Delta increased from .08 to .17
    *Cackles*

*Mr. Burns "Excellent"*

Also, what the hell is delta? I'm going to assume per level gains. This change while pretty useless for controller Arc GL (aside from some early game sustain relief), makes AD ARC GL NEW META even stronger!

I think Gas Cat ratios are being overnerfed (mainly shred, if you want to keep her focused on skill damage why reduce this?).

And I'm assuming you mean her attack damage per level is being decreased, not increased as written, and NMS vortex range is being increased to 7 from 6.
    Last edited by hammerreborn; 07-01-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Formerly Known as Hammerreborn

Come watch me at my Twitch Stream. I'm a community streamer, and I currently give away free swag every Friday and Sunday nights. Come for the swag, stay for the IC and Comics.

You can see up to date updates about times and giveaways and other events at my thread found here.

You stay classy Ron Burgandy

Quote Originally Posted by akerasi View Post
    Firstly, thanks, so much, for this post... and to me, these changes look pretty darned good. I do have a question, related to your description, however: is there a chance Harley Quinn is in the schedule to be looked at? At the moment, she does not pass the "can this character fit their assigned role" test very well. She's listed as a Controller, and makes a darned good Marksman and a very poor Controller, in the current meta, at least in my personal opinion.
    I don't want to get off topic - but YES. Harley is currently being looked at for a future patch.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerreborn View Post
    Also, what the hell is delta? I'm going to assume per level gains.
    You are correct. Delta is a fancy mathematical/game design way to say per level gains.
    Seraphina Brennan -- Community Manager, Infinite Crisis
    ""For hearts long lost and full of fright / For those alone in Blackest Night. / Accept our ring and join our fight / Love conquers all with violet light!""

Roles: Jungle/Assassin, Marksman, and sometimes Controller. Mains: Gaslight Catwoman, Mecha Wonder Woman, Gaslight Batman, Nightmare Robin, Nightmare Superman, Poison Ivy, Atomic Poison Ivy.

Delta is just the rate of change of a given value. So when they say that Will Regen delta has changed and then list how, it changed by that rate of speed that it will increase as you level. If they decrease the delta, then the skill or stat will become more powerful at a slower rate; if they increase the delta, then the skill or stat will grow stronger at a faster rate.
    V3G3TA: "Im pretty confident about my member...probly why I use Ham, and focus on the W, not the kdr...big guy thrwin his meat around sayin stuff. one really understands...with hair fom the 80 s...yep.. that ham makes me feel li myself"

Quote Originally Posted by hammerreborn View Post
    *Cackles*

*Mr. Burns "Excellent"*

Also, what the hell is delta? I'm going to assume per level gains.

I think Gas Cat ratios are being overnerfed (mainly shred, if you want to keep her focused on skill damage why reduce this?).

And I'm assuming you mean her attack damage per level is being decreased, not increased as written, and NMS vortex range is being increased to 7 from 6.

Good catch.

Gascat Attack Damage per level is being reduced.

We drained some ratio of out Shred while giving back to the skill damage as part of pushing her into the Early/Mid strength. But we'll keep an eye on her overall potency.

Nightmare Superman - range is being reduced from 7 to 6.

These changes seem to be very agreeable on paper. I particularly like the changes to atomic lantern. There is nothing more disheartening then targeting flash with your ult and him not concerned about it at all. I also think it is important that Nightmare supes can use syphon/infuse on enemy minions. It only seemed natural that he should be able to. I suppose the best way to learn how potent they are would be in game play, though. Is there an ETA on this next patch? Is it coming with Supergirl tomorrow?
    Last edited by Kizer; 07-01-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Thing is Harley is a strong support, I just feel like everyone wants to build AD on her because they don't know what else to do. Metallo's Heart, Abin Sur's Lantern, and other tanky will items dominate on her. Maybe changing her suggested build would help so that people understand she's a controller first. Any time I play with a Harley I always see them missing so much potential by building marksman.

Guys there must be a really fast answer to the countless dives from lvl 2. i don't know but i think that the map (all drones andd objects) is the biggest enemy in the game. It must be the first in balance concideration. (i nailed my english)