Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your thoughts on Gotham Heights in Kings of the Crisis?

Hey guys just wondering what thoughts you guys have on Gotham Heights in Kings of the Crisis. Do you like it as a player? Do you like it as a spectator?

Re: Your thoughts on Gotham Heights in Kings of the Crisis?

I like it as a player as it's good for the game but I hate as a spectator and as a human being because I hate E-Sports.
    - PC -
    PSU: MAXXTRO ATX 450epn12 (450w);
    MOBO: G41M-VS3;
    CPU: Core 2 Quad Q8400 @2.73GHz;
    RAM: Dual-Channel 4GB DDR3;
    GPU: GeForce GTX550 Ti;
    Screen: 1360x768.

The largest problem with E-Sports at the moment is that is unappealing to the viewer who has no concept of the game that is being played. An example of this is someone who has not played a MOBA coming to watch a standard 3 lane map championship being played compared to someone who has never watched American Football watching the Superbowl. In the case of the Superbowl you have endless commentary, crowd influences, but most importantly the base of the game is action packed and easy to understand. This leads to the new viewer to be "involved" with the game. In the case of the standard 3 lane map, the commentary may or may not be there, and there is little to no crowd influence to help you get well involved in the game. This means the new viewer has to have some understanding prior to the game, or they are not interested enough to watch.

The base game of Gotham Heights is easy to understand, and filled with action. This makes it easier for the new viewer to get interested in the game. So as an E-Sports viewer that wants as many new viewers to become interested in watching and playing the game while not having prior experience in this genre, I think it is a wonderful move.

As a player I think it is a borderline shotty idea. In the end the one mechanic that matters is point control. That is it. You could be down a few thousand gold or more as a team and still win because you controlled the points if played right. Also some games just boil down to which team can slaughter the other team better, and that makes the idea lose some appeal on the professional level to me.

Well, those are my thoughts on GH in KotC. IC is doing a lot that may change the E-Sports when people start paying attention, and outside viewers start coming in. A spectatot game has to appealing to the largest group possible in order to be successful.
    Introducing the Crisis Classic!
    Up to date Rules and Info

I am looking for feedback on recent community events. Fill out the form here! I will read all responses even if there is 1000.

The_Dycer Guides: Updates Soon!
    The Definition of SoonTM

Dycer's Ample Amplifier Album! Check it out for help with Augments.

Dycer's Monstrous Marina Modset Manual! Use it for help with item mods.

I am not a Turbine employee, and do not receive the compensation/benefits/privileges that employees do. Currently I have a pending application to be the Director of the Putting Things on Top of Other Things Department.

I'm on Dawnbase! Check highly rated guides for great builds and tips!

"The Earth had too many men." - Dycer 2014

"KS, it is what Dycers do best!"- Dycer 2015

One only improves through quality repetition. Practice does not make perfect; only perfect practice makes perfect.

The State of The_Dycer Adress

Getting back to daily words!
    Strange word of the day; Vauntiness: Boastfulness
    If you win a spelling bee due to "Strange word of the day", I receive 2% of the winnings.
    Most Colorful Forum Signature
    I am running low on original colors!

46 No Death 5v5 games in queue without an afk this patch!

Hate it as a player and hate watching it.

I love Gh as a player and I love GH as a spectator.

And as Dycer explained rather eloquently, GH will be far more enjoyable for a viewer with no MOBA experience. Anyone who has played games for a year or more in a multiplayer capacity has more than likely ran into a "capture-point" format at least once so it will be familiar.

And even spectators who have never really played multiplayer games should be able to grasp the concept within a few matches watched. Particularly if the commentary is good and the action is non-stop.

With that said, I'd really like to see a focus on CC and GH personally. GD is pretty boring, just like any other typical tri-lane MOBA map (with a few twists, of course). Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the map. But when I first started playing it, it was my first actual attemp at a tri-lane map. I don't play other MOBA's because the laning phase is just boring to me, and jungling wasn't much better. But the way that CC evolved over time found it to have a very nice team-centric flow, with plenty of team fights and tons of ganking opportunities with two junglers and just two lanes.
    V3G3TA: "Im pretty confident about my member...probly why I use Ham, and focus on the W, not the kdr...big guy thrwin his meat around sayin stuff. one really understands...with hair fom the 80 s...yep.. that ham makes me feel li myself"

Providing Harmony ItsThatAsianBoy's Avatar

Love it as a player hate it as a spectator.
    There's no depth to it, it's just players running around capping points.

It doesn't make sense to be trying to make 3 maps into e-sports.

Protector

Definite plus, much more interesting than watching people lane. The strategy shown in streamed games is a bit behind the meta though (which is itself very immature), and there is much to learn for everyone involved, which makes it even more interesting.

I don't really mind playing it but i assume its probably the most boring thing in the world to watch, And i really doubt the map as a competitive map the only thing i find good about GH is teaching people how to play the game. Much rather play more CC and GD.

I love all these 1337 MOBA vets who talk down about GH. Is there as much to focus on as on CC and GD? No, there isn't. But to say that there is no strategy at all, or no meta, or no reason why players do what they do is beyond silly. Any of you gunslingers on GD (or CC) are free to come play against me and some of my friends. Prove to us just how EZ mode it it.
    V3G3TA: "Im pretty confident about my member...probly why I use Ham, and focus on the W, not the kdr...big guy thrwin his meat around sayin stuff. one really understands...with hair fom the 80 s...yep.. that ham makes me feel li myself"

Absolutely love playing it and watching it. I think it's the best map, and the future of esports. I find tri-lane maps unbelievably boring to watch, and frustrating to play. It makes no sense to me that the team that screws up first is most often the one that loses, as opposed to the team that consistently outplays the other one. This is why maps like GD don't appeal to me.

Additionally, I enjoy watching it because there's no laning phase. There's nothing more boring to me than listening to casters talk about absolutely nothing for 10-20 minutes while the players enjoy a game of PvE whack-a-mole. On top of that, I don't like how you can often figure out who's going to win at a certain point, but then there's 10 minutes spent trying to close out the game. Comebacks happen, but nowhere near to the extent that you see them happening on GH.

GH is also in this really cool place where it's accessible to nearly anyone, but it has a great deal more nuances than a lot of people seem to appreciate. There is a difference in between entry/mid level GH play, and high level GH play. Rewatching the games from last KOTC, there were some mechanically gifted players but it was clear to me that none of them really understood the map that well. I didn't see bleed portal being used, and that opens up another dimension of play that no one got to appreciate. This perception that GH is a "noob map" or a "practice map" is unfortunate, and comes from people who've never seen or experienced actual high level GH play.

I see so many different commonly said phrases at different elos that indicate to me a lack of understanding of the map.

Low elo: Fight on the points guys
    Mid elo: Let's seige their turret by pushing with the minion wave
    High elo: Only the points matter, don't chase for kills. I'll 1v1 bot.
    Highest elo: This is going to be a quick, relaxing game.

At the highest elo, you recognize that 80% of the time the points don't matter. They only matter in two different situations. #1. You got fived capped. #2. You only have 150 points left.

Gotham Heights is not a map about capturing and holding points. It's all about trying to find the unfair fight, and pushing your advantage off of it once you've found it. It's trying to find the correct place to set up a bleed portal, while trying to find the enemy bleed portal and destroying it. It involves fighting in the jungle, and ganking the absolute **** out of bot lane. Anyone who thinks staying on the point to defend it is the right strat, is completely wrong. Points are distractions that enable unfair fights. Anyone who believes bot lane to be 1v1 is a fool. It's a place where you go to try and keep up with gold with the top laners, and bait the enemy laner into making enough bad plays that eventually one of them is something a teammate can gank off of. Good bot laners can actually surpass their top laners in total gold by farming effectively, roaming when possible and contributing to OC fights.

In the first Gotham Heights tourney hosted by Nerdock, the final games were intense. It was a best of three, and ended 2-1 in favor of KoH against TW. The games were so back and forth. It's a shame that the vods were lost, and so few people got to see it. Those who saw it loved them, and were impressed with the quality and excitement of the play they were watching. In other games like League of Legends, there was a dominion tournament that took place around the same time as worlds. Around 300-400 people saw those final 3 games, including some rioters (developers). Even the rioters were chanting in the twitch chat #betterthanworlds.

I think we need more GH tournaments, and more exposure for what higher level GH play looks like. There need to be more opportunities to compete because I was unfortunately unable to play in the last tourney. It's a great map, and a wonderful mode, and I'm so proud of turbine for supporting it. I only hope they continue to do so, and continue to explore its potential.