Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Letter From The Creative Director: July 7th

Hey all,

This communication thing is working pretty well, in my opinion! So, in the spirit of that, I wanted to focus this month’s letter on what we’re planning, and why we are doing so.

As we move forward we are dedicated to ensuring everyone knows what we are working on and the reasoning behind it. IC_Hexx, with some help from IC_PlayByGray, has already begun providing visibility into the Champion balance process and how you can weigh in on what we are trying to do. I couldn’t be happier with the results, as your posts and feedback have caused some… spirited… discussions within the design team.

We have learned a tremendous amount since starting our beta and we would not have gotten here without all of you. Let me take a moment and extend a big thank you from the entire team! For those who managed to meet us at PAX, or posted on our forums or social media, or filed a bug, you have helped us keep making this the best game we can. We really appreciate the time, effort and passion you’ve shown. Keep it up, as it helps us make the game stronger as a whole.

For a long time our focus has been on building out a minimum set of features needed for a MOBA to be playable at a high level. This included competitive maps, a good selection of champions for each role, balance and variety within the artifact foundry, plus a functioning front end to set it all behind. Right now I feel like we’re pretty much there. Of course, balancing is never over, and we’ll always continue to work on latency, feel and bug-squashing, but we feel like there’s something very important that it’s become time to address.

We are turning our focus this summer to the new player experience in addition to game balance. We love MOBAs and we feel that with Infinite Crisis we can create a truly unique experience that will enable more people to get more enjoyment out of the game. A lot of gamers come to Infinite Crisis looking to have a great time with characters they know and love, but have never really played a MOBA. We want to help everyone understand how to play our game effectively so that they can have as much fun with it as we do. To accomplish this, we really need to make those first few crucial hours more fun and understandable.

Part of that process is improving the basic tutorial concept. Part of it is improving the way the game speaks to players as they play. Another part of it is focused on improving the look and functionality of the game UI. This work is already well underway – in fact some of you may have already seen some surveys over the past few weeks seeking input on our designs. Our goal is to roll out this new experience as part of our next major update scheduled for September.

I know what you’re thinking. “That sounds like a ton of work, Mr. Creative Director Person.” And, you are very right. In fact, so right that we have to make some temporary changes to our update schedule to get it all done and tested. This is what the schedule change means for our live game, and what you can expect as a result:

• We will be holding back new Champions until the September Update – We’re still building Champions behind the scenes, and will resume their normal release schedule starting in September.
    • Balance patches will be released as we iterate on design improvements – You can expect these updates about once a month. We will continue to focus on the iterative cycle that is the foundation of good balance. Technical patches will be released with balance updates to make the game more stable and less prone to crashes. Crashes lead to more AFK’s, and that quite frankly, sucks – so we’ll continue to push out fixes.
    • Credit- err, Bug Stomping – We will continue to fix bugs that you file, and that we find on our own.
    • Expect an even larger presence on the Forums – We’re working on a lot of stuff, and much of it is based on what we’ve seen you all doing and saying. As a result, you can expect even more posts from developers asking and answering questions!

Moving forward, you can expect more information on exactly what is coming in the September Update, and there is a LOT of stuff to talk about! We want to keep hearing from you as well. Tune into our streams to ask questions, post your feedback on the forums and keep up the great work helping to make Infinite Crisis better with every update.

Thanks for reading this far!
    Cardell “Annuvin” Kerr

Providing Harmony ItsThatAsianBoy's Avatar

Re: Letter From The Creative Director: July 7th

That does sound like a lot of work Mr. Creative Director Person, looking forward to hearing more about the update in September!

So does this mean we'll be getting no major updates and no champions until September?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsThatAsianBoy View Post
    That does sound like a lot of work Mr. Creative Director Person, looking forward to hearing more about the update in September!

So does this mean we'll be getting no major updates and no champions until September?
    As stated in the letter, there will be no new champions until the September Update, but we are going to continue to work on champions behind the scenes. However, we will continue to do monthly balance/bug fix patches.

I will also note here that we will be doing a live Q&A Session with Annuvin tomorrow at 2 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) on http://www.twitch.tv/infinitecrisis. If you guys have direct questions for him, post them to this thread and your questions may be asked on the show!
    Last edited by Celestrata; 07-08-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    Seraphina Brennan -- Community Manager, Infinite Crisis
    ""For hearts long lost and full of fright / For those alone in Blackest Night. / Accept our ring and join our fight / Love conquers all with violet light!""

Roles: Jungle/Assassin, Marksman, and sometimes Controller. Mains: Gaslight Catwoman, Mecha Wonder Woman, Gaslight Batman, Nightmare Robin, Nightmare Superman, Poison Ivy, Atomic Poison Ivy.

What is a more current release schedule then?

If you're going to stop champion releases, what features can players look forward too in the next couple of months to fill that gap?
    Whilst I like the whole "wait and see" whilst waving of your mystical fingers, a post was literally just made that reflects how I feel about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KGS_Supreme
    So lately I've been noticing a lack of interest in this game. Not just from myself, but many competitive players, as well as casual players. Everyone seems to have hit that wall, the one where we're waiting for something new or something refreshing. I love this game, and have been playing it for over a year now, but simply put. It's gotten to be stale. Maybe its a lack of champions I want to play, or a feeling that every change in the game comes 6 weeks after it should. But I just don't see the point in this anymore. I try to play a solo Q game, and I'm punished with 40 minutes of waiting in queue. After I've waited, I stomp the uneven match up I'm given and then surrender happens at 15 minutes. It's literally not fun anymore...

The issue with restricting people based on MMR without giving them the number is just that, I'm being judged on a score I can't see. I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but people will play games to see that number go up or down, look at Adventure Time's new moba. The thing runs in my browser, but I can see my elo, even though it's not ranked, I'm still able to chase a number. When it takes me 40 minutes to find a game, regardless of my hidden elo, we have an issue with people playing the game.

So what's the solution here Turbine? Do you start advertising the game in a way that's bigger than paying for Twitch Promoted Game? Cause I want to tell you, it did more harm than good having people see that you paid for that spot, and the game was basically a clunky LOL clone with Super hero reskins...

People aren't coming, they are going to every other MOBA on the marketplace, but for whatever reason, they ain't coming here...
    I really want to like IC, but the "end game" is completely missing.

What new features are coming?
    What is exciting and fresh about these new changes?

Sing it to me, brother!
    Sinestro Corps Member

@lyri
    o
    n

f
    f

n
    o

Near the bottom, the first bullet point states that we won't see new champions until the September update. Which is unfortunate, to say the least.

Could we gain insight behind the decision to skip July and August for character releases?
    Last edited by Kizer; 07-08-2014 at 10:15 AM.

So it looks like everyone should go enjoy their summer playing a different MOBA? Nothing to see here until September. I was assuming that the something "BIG" was more than pushing the schedule of a dying game back 2 months. How many people will be here in September? Such little, much late. I really wonder who the captain of this ship is. I fail to see how Dawngate, a game with no license, no history and no following before this year, is doing so much better in terms of new player growth and new player retention. I mean, a DC MOBA, say it outloud, it should be successful. Something is not right, someone isn't making the right calls. I can't see how anyone on the fence about this game is gonna give it another 2 months to figure out the right formula. Here's a tip, don't try marketing a game that is clearly imbalanced and incomplete, as a professional esport. When the game literally ends at 75 minutes due to poor programming, you are NOT ready to throw yourself in with the big names. By doing so, you made your game look worse than it was, competitive players come and go in IC because this game isn't ready. So now we're in a spot, with 2 "professional" teams, 15 teams with tags in their names, and a game that we're waiting until September to see any improvements.

Providing Harmony ItsThatAsianBoy's Avatar

So with players already leaving and not many people coming what's going to happen now that there's going to be no major update for 2 months?

So with players already leaving and not many people coming what's going to happen now that there's going to be no major update for 2 months?
    So you saw the titanic right? There are life boats for some, but many of the "it's beta" guys have gotten pretty good on the old Violin....

Considering Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by KGS_Supreme View Post
    So it looks like everyone should go enjoy their summer playing a different MOBA? Nothing to see here until September. I was assuming that the something "BIG" was more than pushing the schedule of a dying game back 2 months. How many people will be here in September? Such little, much late. I really wonder who the captain of this ship is. I fail to see how Dawngate, a game with no license, no history and no following before this year, is doing so much better in terms of new player growth and new player retention. I mean, a DC MOBA, say it outloud, it should be successful. Something is not right, someone isn't making the right calls. I can't see how anyone on the fence about this game is gonna give it another 2 months to figure out the right formula. Here's a tip, don't try marketing a game that is clearly imbalanced and incomplete, as a professional esport. When the game literally ends at 75 minutes due to poor programming, you are NOT ready to throw yourself in with the big names. By doing so, you made your game look worse than it was, competitive players come and go in IC because this game isn't ready. So now we're in a spot, with 2 "professional" teams, 15 teams with tags in their names, and a game that we're waiting until September to see any improvements.

Unfotunately I have to agree. Why skip two months without a single new character or something big? We already have so much to be able to have two whole months without a big announcement? I doubt it. 32 champions is not a big number, truly, and we have only two maps really working. Sorry, but how in hell are Turbine expecting to keep the actual players and gain new ones like this? I really don't undersand what are they trying to do.

So, to answer some questions here...

Yes, there will continue to be updates each month -- These updates will be very much like the patch that we just released. We are going to continue to add balance and improvements to the game, and we will, as always, require your input on these decisions. IC_Hexx and IC_PlayByGray have already revealed the champion changes for the next patch, and we love hearing your feedback. In time, more developers will be stepping forward with their ideas and proposing them to you guys.

What's going to happen? -- We want your input and your opinions. We want to make Infinite Crisis the best game it can be, and that means working hand-in-hand with you guys to make it your favorite game. This is why we're stepping up our communication, because we want to hear your thoughts on what we're doing.

What new features are coming? -- As Cardell stated in his letter, we're working on more tutorial stuff, a new UI (which you guys have already seen some new designs for in one of our email surveys), how the game speaks to you when you're playing it, and more.
    Seraphina Brennan -- Community Manager, Infinite Crisis
    ""For hearts long lost and full of fright / For those alone in Blackest Night. / Accept our ring and join our fight / Love conquers all with violet light!""

Roles: Jungle/Assassin, Marksman, and sometimes Controller. Mains: Gaslight Catwoman, Mecha Wonder Woman, Gaslight Batman, Nightmare Robin, Nightmare Superman, Poison Ivy, Atomic Poison Ivy.