Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Matchmaking & Required Practice Bot Matches

I am level 50. My experience with matchmaking this week is completly horrible. Yesterday I had 6 GD matches almost back to back where I had two players on my team go completly negative with 0 kills 12 or more deaths. These players had no idea what they were doing, and it's fine to be new or bad at the game. My problem is that these players had no idea what an assist ping was or sounded like, no idea what a danger/caution ping was or sounded like, and had no idea how to play at all whatsoever, they ran from every single fight even if it was in our favor.

I know the matchmaking was tweaked to allow for faster que pops but this is just horrific. I will not play as a level 50 with players who do not even know the basics assit or danger pings. I just alt + F4'd from a match because I pinged for the top laner to assist me at least 15 times and he didn't even move a muscle, and it was an obvious play, their jungler and I were fighting at the top jungle camp RIGHT NEXT TO HIM (from full health). He didn't respond for 20 seconds or so like he was blind and death or something.

Many players have had similar experiences with bad players or new players. I know my MMR is nowhere near this guys MMR, and it's fine to lose a lane or two in a match as expected, but the enemy team were just regular non-pro players and this is an outrage.

I refuse to play matches where it looks like players never even made it through the tutorial or never played that champion. Something needs to be done here, you can't allow brand new players to straight up que for matches and ruin the experience for people who are trying to have a normal game, these players contribute nothing, never attack, never assist, never respond to pings, and always run from everything or just dive in 1v5 and die all the time. Now we know they aren't trying to feed intentionally, but they are just new to the game and have no idea what they are doing.

TL;DR- Please implement easier to understand and required training matches for new players. Matchmaking is putting seemingly brand new players who don't respond to pings with high elo/high level players and frustrating them. Please require at least 5 or so bot matches before someone is allowed to play a champion in normal games, since there is no ranked system or elo to grind yet. This system will need some additional checks before implemented but the general idea should improve quality of games for everyone.
    Last edited by Achido; 07-14-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Re: Matchmaking & Required Practice Bot Matches

1: The pings and color scheme are not coloblind friendly , so the may have been colorblind and had the sound off (feel free to vs me if you think everyone should have sound on and be able to differentiate colors.)

2: They could of been one of the growing number of VS bots that are appearing throughout the game

3: The could of been "cyber cafe players" , theese guys are the bane of many moba's communities.

4: The could of just been bad and as you say in need of training.

That "new" players can actually be lv 30+ players. Yes, they can go up to that level and still be as bad as lv1.

Community Advocate CH4_BrianFantana's Avatar

It's like people don't even read the letter or the summary.

And there are bads at all levels. They've stated repeatedly that matchmaking doesn't pair any new players with players of level 20+. So you really should blame one of your high level teammates for probably grouping with the newer players.

Also...it's a damn game. You aren't getting executed for losing, let it go~
    Formerly Known as Hammerreborn

Come watch me at my Twitch Stream. I'm a community streamer, and I currently give away free swag every Friday and Sunday nights. Come for the swag, stay for the IC and Comics.

You can see up to date updates about times and giveaways and other events at my thread found here.

You stay classy Ron Burgandy

Quote Originally Posted by Dannin View Post
    1: The pings and color scheme are not coloblind friendly , so the may have been colorblind

Don't try to pull that sad card, the shapes and visual appearance of the pings are completly different from one another, and regardless, said players don't respond at all, meaning they have no experience with assist or danger pings.

2: They could of been one of the growing number of VS bots that are appearing throughout the game
    Not sure if bots reply in chat to what u said to them

3: The could of been "cyber cafe players" , theese guys are the bane of many moba's communities.
    Possibly.

4: The could of just been bad and as you say in need of training.
    True...but how bad do you have to be to not respond in 15 or so pings right next to you? I know a guy with literally no fingers on his hands that will respond, no excuse for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerreborn View Post

Also...it's a damn game. You aren't getting executed for losing, let it go~
    While it's true that it's just a game, this game is a product for the people and community to use, and the community includes new players and veterans. Your attitude is to passive, you can't just let things be as is without improving it and is similar to the attitude many games have when the devs stop listening and let their games die. People are allowed to ask for improvements so don't try to be so against change. This is a change I'm asking to help improve the new player experience without frustrating the veteran players by placing them in the same matches.

Protector

I agree but its obvious in GD nobody is in the queues anymore, I for one am a new player that just wont bother anymore, I do 'get' most of the mechanics of the game but im just tired of running up against 'Pro4Life' teams that beat you with their eyes closed , repetitive practice over and over witht he same team, same characters and with coordination...always wins , I don't feel I can possibly improve any further because some players just have previous groups from years in Lol or longer time here and have farmed idiots like me so often they can do it with their eyes closed. All I learn is someone saying 'buy x item next time'. ...Thanks for the advice like that would have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Whipp View Post
    I agree but its obvious in GD nobody is in the queues anymore, I for one am a new player that just wont bother anymore, I do 'get' most of the mechanics of the game but im just tired of running up against 'Pro4Life' teams that beat you with their eyes closed , repetitive practice over and over witht he same team, same characters and with coordination...always wins , I don't feel I can possibly improve any further because some players just have previous groups from years in Lol or longer time here and have farmed idiots like me so often they can do it with their eyes closed. All I learn is someone saying 'buy x item next time'. ...Thanks for the advice like that would have made a difference.
    There is this, in addition to the fact that player on a team of new players will typically abuse the new players.

Also the tutorial in its current state is useful to no one.

2 points.

There is no way you are getting matched with completely new players. MM doesn't work like that. Forcing people to play training matches against bots does not help. People will get levels and champions and not know how to handle pvp players. This actually creates more of what you are seeing in solo Q, aka level disparity and lopsided skill matchmaking.

The second thing is the tone of the post.The thing about matchmaking I've noticed is that there are "new" players on both teams, more often than not in the same amount, and every game is winnable. As you are so kind to point out, you as the big bad "level 50" player should have no trouble carrying against newer players. However, whenever I see you in game, instead of finding creative ways to winning the game with your experience, you whine about your teams feeding and being unresponsive. I was in one of your games with the 0-12 feeder. He was my support. Did I rage? No. I tried to convert every single one of his unfortunate deaths into a kill for myself/team. I roamed and took objectives. I used my keyboard to cast spells, not rage. Meanwhile you afk farmed mid on gasbat and let the opposing GL get big off our newer players.

I'm not trying to point blame. I'm just saying you can be a part of the problem, aka posting the weekly whine thread about matchmaking while sitting on your level 50 throne, or you can be apart of the solution and teach players like you try with your QAs, and learn to hard carry your games.

I think Pearee is getting at the heart of the matter -- something that's an important take away for a player of any MOBA. Being the person on the team who is complaining about the team means that you're not the one attempting to help the team.

I think many of us in here can attest to having games where we thought we had absolutely no hope of winning, but we came back, found a way, and won the match. In all of these situations, it usually comes down to a few players buckling down, focusing on the goals, and working together to overcome the seriously bad odds.

We all have matches where we may not have players who are experts. Heck, I'm not a bad player (as many people know), but I've had games on our public stream that made me look like a complete newbie. Everyone has their off days, but it's more important to be a team player and continue to help the team, no matter how bad it can be. You may just find yourself having more fun, and improving the experience of others!
    Seraphina Brennan -- Community Manager, Infinite Crisis
    ""For hearts long lost and full of fright / For those alone in Blackest Night. / Accept our ring and join our fight / Love conquers all with violet light!""

Roles: Jungle/Assassin, Marksman, and sometimes Controller. Mains: Gaslight Catwoman, Mecha Wonder Woman, Gaslight Batman, Nightmare Robin, Nightmare Superman, Poison Ivy, Atomic Poison Ivy.