Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Re: Gotham Heights Inquiry

1) What would you change about Gotham Heights right now?
    Collector items are very iffy in GH. I'd like to see jungle camps with low health, damage, credit reward and xp to make it easier to stack up those items. By no means am I suggesting the use of a full time jungler, I just want those stacks. Bot lane is fine, so maybe they could be situated more towards the top of the map, and not spawn until at least 2 minutes into the game.

*not right now, but...* I know it's Gotham, but it's not visually appealing to me. If something could be done about that, I'd be happier. Definitely NOT a top priority thing.

AND another thing I just remembered. Take surrender out of GH. It's a real buzzkill. I have seen some pretty amazing comebacks in GH, but there are people who want to quit after a 100 point disadvantage. There are the occasional games where one team is obviously going to lose badly... but if the game even makes it to 10 minutes, it's going to be over with soon enough anyhow. I see no reason to let someone surrender when they only have 1 control point and less then 100 points left. Takes the fun out of it, even when I'm on the losing side.

2) If you were to add deployables to Gotham Heights, what would they do, and where would they spawn?
    They would spawn in GD and stay there. Winning teams are rewarded enough in GH as it is.

3) Would you add more stealth pads to Gotham Heights? If so, where?
    Yes. Everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Stealth pads just don't have the impact on GH as they do in the other maps.
    Last edited by Chaiftan; 07-15-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    Yeah, um, uh... In Blackest Day or Brightest Night...
    Uh, watermelon, cantalope, yada yada...
    A superstitious and cowardly lot...
    With liberty and justice for all!
    -Duck Dodgers

the things I would change would be

put some stealth pads in the jungle.

maybe instead of just a giant meteor falling for the final middle capture. some type of uber creature like the leviathan that drops an item that temporarily deactivates one capture pad, though I don't know if that would be feasible. and that might also wreck the balance of the map

finally maybe in certain area's of the jungle you could have a creature that spawns and when killed gives you a deployable shield, but instead of being in one spot it is constantly moving.

I would level the scailing between Kills/Assists and Capping, as right now team can snowball out of control fairly easily.

2) If you were to add deployables to Gotham Heights, what would they do, and where would they spawn?

I would say they should spawn in deep points of the urban jungle, possibly with small jungle parties or small cap points like David said.

In my opinion, they should largely be things that could affect team fights like:

Minor Heal/Shield,
    One-Use Meteor
    One-Use Statis on self or ally

I could also see a use to have one-use all map reveal, like Gascat's ability used to be.

No Opinion
    Last edited by Kenku; 07-15-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Providing Harmony

I'm very much against adding any environmental creatures to fight on GH. I agree with David that I am uncertain about adding more stealth pads but that it could be a positive.

I would like to reduce the snowballing potential, by greatly reducing credits awarded on kill. I would also improve collector items by doubling collection rates for everyone (before applying further modification such as for the Accelerated mods)

I don't like deployables, but I would probably add blackout deployables (ECM effect in an area, plus possible reduction of everyone's line of sight) to spawn in base, possibly for the team which fails to capture the Orbital Cannon - or maybe just apply the blackout area where the OC strikes, that would be interesting and relatively neutral.

Add an earlier surrender option for when you get like a 3-4v5. Change from capturing mid to adding some boss fight, or like wurm_king suggested as well but i was thinking for the last capture of mid to have it as a monster. Maybe longer capture times by a sec to 3 when you're with 4 ppl.

I wouldn't bother. I prefer the way it kinda is atm without the deployables, but that's just me.

No, but thinking back to backdooring, it would be around the stealth pad area or somewhere around there.
    Azarath Metrion Zinthos!

Quote Originally Posted by IC_Annuvin View Post
    Hello Gotham Heights fans!
    I was thinking about shifting things up over there, and I realized that I should ask you guys first! Please answer the questions in order… and be polite! I want to hear a lot of disparate opinions. So, here are the rules:

If you can think of anything else, feel free to post about that too!
    1) More gold for captures and less gold for Kills/Assists. I actually welcome a small jungle mentality for GH. Maybe about four mobs that would allow some extra farm and/or gank potential.

2) I wouldn't.

3) Stealth pads in the jungle. At least four, if not six.
    V3G3TA: "Im pretty confident about my member...probly why I use Ham, and focus on the W, not the kdr...big guy thrwin his meat around sayin stuff. one really understands...with hair fom the 80 s...yep.. that ham makes me feel li myself"

Changes
    Volandum beat me to it, but I definitely feel that coin-gathering items need to be have their rate doubled (at least) for GH to make them more viable for builds on this mode. I would also echo the requests to de-emphasize credit gains via kills and instead move more of those gains to tower captures. I'd also like to see solo-caps slowed a bit more to avoid everyone scattering all over the map. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing bleed portal removed.

Deployables
    I'm not a big fan of deployables on GH, but if we have to get them I'd rather they be used as base spawns that appear when one team gets behind by a certain amount (100 points behind, for example). This could help alleviate snowballing problems and make things a bit more interesting. It could also be used to somewhat offset the handicap of playing with an AFK / DC or whatnot. This could be a good way to implement bleed portals in GH if you have to keep them, too. A deployable stealth field could make for some interesting 4v5 orbital cannon fights.

Stealth Pads
    I don't see much of a reason to go crazy with stealth pads, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try some in the jungle. I feel keeping the focus on team fights on the perimeter on the points (or orbital cannon) is what makes GH fun though. I enjoy the brisk, fluid pace of the map and don't want to see it bogged down with overly cumbersome jungle mechanics. We already have maps available for that.

Considering Harmony

Agree with the snowballing problem. There seems to be a point of about 3-4 kills where a player becomes ‘effective’. If an entire team has 3-4 kills each and their opponents have 0-2 then it can be impossible to get back into the game. Watching a lot of the ‘Live from the Protector Battlegrounds’ games, this is a surprising problem in games involving high elo players where a team gets to snowballing then just camps in the jungle near the speed pads feeding on their opponents who keep getting ambushed and team killed. Where you’d expect a tougher drawn out fight between high quality players ends up being a race to snowball off the first team fight. Either, like David and others said, kills need to count for less over the early game phase (pre-first orbital cannon fight) or lagging teams need a way to get kills so they can get back on the power curve. (PS if you reduce credits for kills wont that make farming more viable? Do we want that? Could be a way for a lagging team to get back into the game by retreating to the lanes)

Also from high elo games I’ve seen, there needs to be a way to break up a team who are roving around the map 4 vs whatevering everyone they come across. There needs to be ways to split the team so they’re spread out more and gives a lagging team a chance to catch their opponents out of position. Backcapping works in this way in low elo games but a good high elo team camps on the speed pads and prevents anyone from getting through the jungle, or they have the presence of mind to B and cut off the attempt. More ways to break up a snowballing team positionally would help.

For deployables, I don’t know if they’re needed but there could be a few interesting ways to use them to give more strategic options to a team. But you wouldn’t want them further snowball an already rampaging team. Some ideas for deployables:

I think the idea of making Bleed Portal a deployable has potential. If both teams have the ability to appear on the other side of the map then it would force the other team to spread out and cover the map more. But I think it would have to be limited to a certain number of uses before expiry, say 3 or 4 players so the ‘top-laners’ on a team can bypass a well set team and back cap quickly, but it would expire after the 3rd or 4th person went through. Maybe make the purchaseable BP the ‘semi-permanent’ version to be used for organized strategies instead.

I’ve always been disappointed by the way the orbital cannon strikes don’t actually affect the pathing of the map. I understand the craters can’t block the paths of super drones etc but it would have been good if the map changed over the course of the game thanks to the craters landing to cut off paths. What about a ‘force-field barrier’ deployable that blocks various jungle paths across the map like MechaSupes wall? It could just be a temporary wall like the walls that hold players back at the start of a CC or GD game with preset locations to be deployed across various gaps in the jungle but a team can use the deployable to activate the wall across the gap, blocking it off so the enemy needs to find another way to travel. It could be used to block off paths to the health pads, make it harder to get to the mid fight, block off ganks in bot lane or access to Waynes, or used mid-fight to cut off a team like MechaSupes wall. It would also add more utility to squishy characters with escapes, all without making a team any more snowbally. Limit the deployable to one per team at a time and when the orbital cannon is won the force fields get cancelled out so the drones have clear access through the jungle to the towers.

I haven’t seen it in action too much but maybe the ‘team stasis’ deployable from GD might be interesting. You could run a single player into a grouped team and stasis them all while the rest of your team pushes onto tower. Would be another way of forcing the opposition to de-group. And considering everything in GH is about speed and catching your opponents out of position it would probably be a lot more influential than on GD.

For deployables maybe the in-base versions would be better. Not sure about having jungle creatures but if you did have a raider-style boss it would have to be at the very bottom of the map below bot lane, similar to CC or GD. That way it would provide another opportunity to drag a team away from Waynes Tower, but you’d have to make it tough enough to require a few players to take it.

Concerning stealth pads: it would add something. Don’t know whether it would be better or worse or just different. Personally I wouldn’t have an opinion either way until I saw them in action.

Finally, can I ask why you want to look at changing GH? Is it to make it a more ‘serious’/competitive map?

1) I agree with my comrades. Lowering the gains from kills and assists. While increasing the gain from caps and drones.

2) deployables are iffy. They have to be something that isnt going to help the snowballing team roll even faster and have to be worth it for the losing team to abandon the points they do have to go get them. If it spawned in base for a team when they got down by x amount if points that would be cool. I was toying with the concept of a deployable barracade like a wall for the losing team to put up that lasts for 30 secs to a min that can block off a path in the jungle to give the losing team an edge. The other sudgestions are generick but good ideas. ( ie heal, meteor, deployable drone.)

3) stealth pads would be nice if added on either side of the bottom speed pad at the tip of the 2 pie slices of inpassable map or either side of the bot heal node.

The format does need to change because atm the map is so cookie cutter its getting old. Ty for letting us share our input. Gl with the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by DINGbat777 View Post
    Finally, can I ask why you want to look at changing GH? Is it to make it a more ‘serious’/competitive map?
    I'm asking because its been a while since the map has received any tweaks at all. I refuse to believe anything we do is perfect, so I wanted glean what types of things you would be interested in seeing/modifying/changing about it. These suggestions have been great everyone. Keep on going!