Thread: Net Neutrality

Last edited by The_Dycer; 07-15-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    Introducing the Crisis Classic!
    Up to date Rules and Info

I am looking for feedback on recent community events. Fill out the form here! I will read all responses even if there is 1000.

The_Dycer Guides: Updates Soon!
    The Definition of SoonTM

Dycer's Ample Amplifier Album! Check it out for help with Augments.

Dycer's Monstrous Marina Modset Manual! Use it for help with item mods.

I am not a Turbine employee, and do not receive the compensation/benefits/privileges that employees do. Currently I have a pending application to be the Director of the Putting Things on Top of Other Things Department.

I'm on Dawnbase! Check highly rated guides for great builds and tips!

"The Earth had too many men." - Dycer 2014

"KS, it is what Dycers do best!"- Dycer 2015

One only improves through quality repetition. Practice does not make perfect; only perfect practice makes perfect.

The State of The_Dycer Adress

Getting back to daily words!
    Strange word of the day; Vauntiness: Boastfulness
    If you win a spelling bee due to "Strange word of the day", I receive 2% of the winnings.
    Most Colorful Forum Signature
    I am running low on original colors!

46 No Death 5v5 games in queue without an afk this patch!

Re: Net Neutrality

The issues around net neutrality are really important. In the USA net neutrality refers to the last 1 mile of connection to the end-user premises. The back end connections are covered by "peering contracts".

In the USA prior to @Jan 2014, telecom ISPs and cable provider ISPs both conformed to a FCC ruling that "peering agreements" were revenue neutral. In Jan 2014 the US courts struck down this ruling as applied to cable providers like Comcast, Verizon, ATT, Time-Warner Cable opening those providers to charge for "fast path" through their cable networks. The ruling only applied to cable/broadband providers. Telecom ISPs still have to abide by "revenue neutral" peering agreements.

What this means is 2 fold: Companies looking to access consumers who's only connect to the internet is via broadband/cable have to pay a premium fee for enhanced peering if they do not want to be "throttled" to the slow==standard lane. It also means that consumers wishing to access providers/content that do not have enhanced peering agreements will suffer "slow downs" in delivery of the content.

There are options in front the FCC now and 2 bills in Congress with mutually exclusive proposals, none of these are attractive or easy to implement. Even if you don't have a direct comment, you can voice your opinion to your providers and content delivery services.

Be aware, be informed and be certain that nothing is going to happen that will truly benefit "us" if we just wait for someone else to do it for us. If we wait for someone else to do it, they will make it just what THEY want, and not what YOU want.
    "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie."
    ("It is magnificent, but it is not war. It is madness.")

~ French Marshal Pierre Bosquet ~

You also have to remember, the next step in this process is charging you, the consumer, extra for wanting to access "premium" high traffic websites. You may not think so, but all it takes is for the cable companies to agree again. And remember, they have the collective power to shut out new competition in the market who may wish to "buck the trend".

If you do not care what companies pay (even that small start up or charity trying to change the world), take heed in the warning signs.
    Introducing the Crisis Classic!
    Up to date Rules and Info

I am looking for feedback on recent community events. Fill out the form here! I will read all responses even if there is 1000.

The_Dycer Guides: Updates Soon!
    The Definition of SoonTM

Dycer's Ample Amplifier Album! Check it out for help with Augments.

Dycer's Monstrous Marina Modset Manual! Use it for help with item mods.

I am not a Turbine employee, and do not receive the compensation/benefits/privileges that employees do. Currently I have a pending application to be the Director of the Putting Things on Top of Other Things Department.

I'm on Dawnbase! Check highly rated guides for great builds and tips!

"The Earth had too many men." - Dycer 2014

"KS, it is what Dycers do best!"- Dycer 2015

One only improves through quality repetition. Practice does not make perfect; only perfect practice makes perfect.

The State of The_Dycer Adress

Getting back to daily words!
    Strange word of the day; Vauntiness: Boastfulness
    If you win a spelling bee due to "Strange word of the day", I receive 2% of the winnings.
    Most Colorful Forum Signature
    I am running low on original colors!

46 No Death 5v5 games in queue without an afk this patch!

Done and done,

Nice thread.