Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Considering Harmony

Solutions to make GD more enjoyable?

I am mostly a GH player and I enjoy playing it very much, sometimes out of curiosity i try to play GD but end up having a terrible time because of the strict limits the game mode has!

Enters room, people yell:

JUNGLE
    BOTTOM

and i go .....

So now that those spots are taken that means that i need to use a specific hero for a specific role and end up not being able to play the champ that i like!

Are all mobas like this? forced into a lane with a character you dislike simply because its the best way to fit into the mold?

Re: Solutions to make GD more enjoyable?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate26 View Post
    I am mostly a GH player and I enjoy playing it very much, sometimes out of curiosity i try to play GD but end up having a terrible time because of the strict limits the game mode has!

JUNGLE
    BOTTOM

and i go .....

So now that those spots are taken that means that i need to use a specific hero for a specific role and end up not being able to play the champ that i like!

Are all mobas like this? forced into a lane with a character you dislike simply because its the best way to fit into the mold?
    Yes, they're pretty much all like that except for League of Legends which has a role specific queue, however there's like 20 people playing this game total so that's not even close to possible.

That is the standard for MOBAs.
    Gotham Divided isn't automatically enjoyable unfortunately. It's a map that you have to "get into" to have fun playing it.

Make it smaller.

I don't know how League's team role queue works (I haven't really played that properly since S2) but other games like Strife and Heroes of the Storm run with the approach of picking a character before you queue. HotS is more of a objective based brawler than a traditional MOBA, but Strife is very similiar to League's map mechanically and the champion queue system works pretty well.

Not sure how well it may work in Infinite Crisis, but interesting to think about

JUNGLE
    BOTTOM

and i go .....

Most team games (sports included) are like this, if you think about it. You defy the meta at your own peril. There's generally an optimum way to get the job done when it comes to team composition and roles. There can be some variation, I stress, but meta is meta for a reason. Even GH has a meta once you get beyond a certain level. Personally, I'd love an ARAM style map for learning champs and having a laugh, but there's not enough players to further divide between queue's.

My suggestion: Branch out a bit. Get ok with a group of champs of different roles and get to know the various roles. It will help you enjoy the game better, and it will actually help you play better because you'll understand what your teammates in that position need from you better.

The alternative, unfortunately, is to go premade only. That way you just secure your niche within your team. But at the population level this game is currently running, expect to wait a long time in queue and wait a while between games.

Considering Harmony

Its so sad that everyone has accepted this I like using many different heroes but i only have 3 pages to make their setups for!

I guess ill have 3 hero set ups for different roles and ill try to learn their roles

Lane positioning and lane composition is always going to be similar, especially in these tri-lane, jungle objective maps. However, the idea that you need to play a specific hero for specific roles is not so set in stone.

I've played Superman supporting a Marksman bot and Supergirl mid before. I've played Gyrocopter in amateur DOTA2 tournaments before he was hot **** during the meta before, and got slammed for using him during streams. Hell, I used to run support Shaco in Season 2 of LoL because of how strong his bush control was, I even got to Gold doing it. However, what matters is if you can make that character in that role work, not if he's blanket labeled for that role thus forcing you to pick said champion.

This is exactly why I love Gotham Heights so much, you can do whatever you want, its fast, fun, exciting, doesnt take time, if you gotta go to work you can still get a game in first. Divided is long, huge, slow, boring, if you don't know the characters (And since this game is new many don't) you cant learn them in divided because you'll have to struggle to get equips at a slow pace.

And I target divided moreso because coast city is flexible, smaller, allows for 2 junglers, pick whoever you want and enjoy.

I love the Leviathan in Divided but theres so many gank spots that if you don't cling to the meta you die horribly, even the developers seem to struggle in that map to people who have found ways to abuse the system. I've seen everything from the League of Legends cheap method of taking the final base solo with one character, to being attacked by the entire enemy team in your lane and no one helping or even having time to respond should they choose to help. If the map is going to be soo big and promote winning by amushing without much if any counter trategy, they should give free teleports instead of free cameras.. Seeing the enemy coming to win because of coordinated strikes and little counter strategy seems odd to me.

But I don't play Gotham Divided so my opinions on it matter very little.... I just want Gotham Heights to stay and be safe, I love it to peaces = p , and I like Coast City... Divided is Windows Vista to me, just not my thing...

But as someone who doesnt play divided, to summarize what would make me go there if it helps in any way..

- Provide free teleports instead of cameras or Make map smaller, No way to counter ambushes on this map, just too big, the fights over and canon lost by time anyone tries.

- Remove some opening for Ambushes, there are so , so many ambush zones, the map seems so uneven with ways to attack vs ways to counter with your team, its purely offensively designed and people are instructed to play defensive, its all about ambushes, thats the easiest and most prominent strategy.

- Add some map skins, Night time, Metropolis, Atlantis, Planet Mogo, Planet Oa, etc, I believe all maps should have this, wont elminate Queue time but will promote new ways of playing and fun new objects to throw and destroy.

- Return the Turret Damage.... I know this was added to help new players, but new players don't learn from sugar coated damage, I've seen it, I have invited 10 players to the game with my invite link. All people who live nearby, even the ones who stopped playing didnt stress out from canons, they laughed... barely cared... then learned about how it feeds and felt bad, then got ambushed and felt worse and afraid... then quit.. I showed them heights and half of them stayed just to play Heights.. One of them is even a League Of Legends player who always did lane maps ONLY. When he came here he stopped playing Divided as well, and Learned the Heights style map, a mode he didnt even play in League, just because it was more fun and he can learn the champions easier, and know what to buy, with the insane prices. Even Stolen powers cost 4k merit lol, wat? , thats like a bar where even the penuts cost 10 bucks.
    Last edited by Nenilai; 07-17-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    If You Would Like Help With Anything
    Add me as a friend, Nenilai In game
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Notable Player: Mr_Lucho (The First Advocate, he is to us as Kickass is to street heroes, friend this guy)
    Awesome Dev: IC_Celestrata (One of the coolest devs and just an inspirational person, she knows everything o_o)
    - Advocate Team -
    Here to answer questions you may have:
    BertRaccoon, BuddahMonk, Bladelordcal, Cates, Chronolinq, CH4_BrianFantana, CH4_Ron-Burgundy, C.Mystagen, Dage, F3_KTPearee, Gogollum, H2k_tSpark, Internettoughguy, Kuzon, Milutin, MrLucho, Nenilai, Nickthedevil, Paradigm, PeterPlatinum, Sacrilege, SicK.Kuma, TFX-Kirr, TgW_AgentX
    --------------------------------------------------
    Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur, Natromo faan tornek wot ur.
    Ter Lantern ker lo Abin Sur,Taan lek lek nok...Formorrow Sur!

Its so sad that everyone has accepted this
    well as someone said earlier in the post its a team game, and its important to play the way that will help the team.

if we consider a real world sport for a second, Football(Soccer) earlier in its life had the "meta" where teams would play 3 defenders and 7 strikers/attackers. this has changed through from 4-4-2 to now variants on 4-3-3 because they are the optimal ways to win games. everyone wants to play as the striker/attacker, (and noone wants to be the keeper usually) but someone has to play the less glamorous roles for the good of the team. This is the case in every real world sport, and so it is in mobas, you cant always be your "favourite". unless you want to be the team that gets stomped every week, then go for it.

tl;dr, Deal with it.