Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: go4 IC tournament series

Quote Originally Posted by Duran View Post
    But that isn't true. You definitely will need to play for at least a month and perform reasonably well to break into the top 8 (overall standings). Given how new the game is, this seems like a good idea because right now, there's almost 0 chance for a team to make top 4.

Realize that Curse and Brawl have won 100% of the Go4IC tournaments? The only way you can start now and get top 4 is by winning 2-3 of them, which is basically impossible. So, if the goal of Turbine is to get new people playing the game, then this structure does the opposite. There's 3 teams basically guaranteed, and there are ~4 other teams fighting for the last spot. Why would anyone else sign up to participate if they have no chance at winning.

If you keep make it Top 8 (online), then Top 4 (LAN), it will encourage people to participate because the gap between rank 12-8 is much easier to bridge. A newer team can definitely make the top 8 with consistent play and results, but top 4 is almost impossible.

It also keeps the format consistent. Why have a top 8 tournament (monthly final) when the overall final has a different format. I definitely think adding a LAN portion is awesome, and obviously my team is still going to play every week to try and qualify, but this format discourages people from participating.

Curse/Brawl play and win every week, so its not like anybody really has a shot at $500, so why play? Insanely unlikely to get top 4 in the overall points right now, so why play? That's the biggest issue.
    You're right that currently if you can never beat Curse or BrawL you're unlikely to make money. That being said out of the ~10 active consistently participating teams we have 4 of them have won money (Curse, BrawL, SG, C). I don't know of any other eSports scene where that high a percent of the active teams have won prize money.

The reason the Seasonal final is top 4 and not top 8 is twofold:
    • There's little time to get travel accommodations for teams between the last weekly cup in August and the date of the Seasonal finals (September 20th).
    • With the current number of participating teams taking top 8 would greatly reduce the importance of regular participation.

With that being said we will be evaluating how this season goes and one idea I'm kinda thinking about suggesting to ESL is that for season 2 finals we take the top 2 teams automatically, and then the 3-6 ranked teams fight over the 2 other spots, let me know what you guys think about this. Also of course adding in points to Monthly finals and/or restructuring the number of points given for different placements in weeklies can make it easier to play catch-up.

Yes the teams that started playing in the first Go4 cups have a significant advantage over you, and for you guys to make top 4 you'd probably have to win 1 or 2 weeklies or get 2nd in 3 or 4. I honestly don't think that's impossible though, C's beaten both BrawL and Curse (BrawL on week 3 and 5, Curse on week 6) and SG also beat BrawL last week in Kings of the Crisis (on GD).

Axslav since there is nothing you can do now to change the format of the esl tourny for this season I believe suggesting this would be the best course of action for next season. It would fix the issue of ,"no one being able to get points" and would give lower teams a chance to make an upset! which if casted would make for great streams! Plus with making it easier to play catch up, teams would be more willing to continue playing if they miss a week or more. That format would fix a lot of complaints in the competitive scene!

Quote Originally Posted by IC_Axslav View Post
    You're right that currently if you can never beat Curse or BrawL you're unlikely to make money. That being said out of the ~10 active consistently participating teams we have 4 of them have won money (Curse, BrawL, SG, C). I don't know of any other eSports scene where that high a percent of the active teams have won prize money.

The reason the Seasonal final is top 4 and not top 8 is twofold:
    • There's little time to get travel accommodations for teams between the last weekly cup in August and the date of the Seasonal finals (September 20th).
    • With the current number of participating teams taking top 8 would greatly reduce the importance of regular participation.

With that being said we will be evaluating how this season goes and one idea I'm kinda thinking about suggesting to ESL is that for season 2 finals we take the top 2 teams automatically, and then the 3-6 ranked teams fight over the 2 other spots, let me know what you guys think about this. Also of course adding in points to Monthly finals and/or restructuring the number of points given for different placements in weeklies can make it easier to play catch-up.

Yes the teams that started playing in the first Go4 cups have a significant advantage over you, and for you guys to make top 4 you'd probably have to win 1 or 2 weeklies or get 2nd in 3 or 4. I honestly don't think that's impossible though, C's beaten both BrawL and Curse (BrawL on week 3 and 5, Curse on week 6) and SG also beat BrawL last week in Kings of the Crisis (on GD).
    Just My Two Cents:

If the tournaments for Go4 and ESL weren't single elimination, you could have more teams fighting for 3rd place and below, as well as more matches, possibly more than 1 day tournament broadcasts, and can alternate more casters. If any new team gets stuck fighting the top 2 teams in the first round and lose, they have no chance whatsoever of playing any other team and ranking appropriately. The way I would do it is to have each team verse each other, even if all matches aren't broadcasted(just screenshot and mark down proof of match results), then work with the results from there. This would give newer teams at least some experience with matching against other teams to see where they really stand because nobody is just going to come fresh to this game and beat top team without having enough game experience.
    Last edited by Achido; 07-22-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BixLe_ View Post
    Axslav since there is nothing you can do now to change the format of the esl tourny for this season I believe suggesting this would be the best course of action for next season. It would fix the issue of ,"no one being able to get points" and would give lower teams a chance to make an upset! which if casted would make for great streams! Plus with making it easier to play catch up, teams would be more willing to continue playing if they miss a week or more. That format would fix a lot of complaints in the competitive scene!
    Sorry, I can't tell what you're suggesting for next season

Well things that would be good for suggesting for next season. Double elimination Brackets, A qualifier tournament for the 3-6th or 8th place teams to get the last two spots (3rd and 4th). Both of these would eliminate the harsh set backs for missing 1 or 2 weeks of ESL. It would also help with new teams to be able to go to a losers bracket and face teams more around there skill level. And give possibilities of different teams taking 3rd or 4th place in the ESL tournaments. Also getting people to cast them almost like LCS does and switch between them. You could even stream it on the main IC channel. This would bring in a lot more viewers. People would see the tournament and when they realize they can compete in it they might even make a team and sign up themselves. Something else that could be done is having more than just 1 ESL tournament every Sunday for a season. Have tournaments other than KOTC and the 1v1 tournaments on ESL so it can be seen by more people. That's what I'm suggesting.

Protector

Any info about the July month finals? Also - the monthly final does NOT add points, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Duran View Post
    Any info about the July month finals? Also - the monthly final does NOT add points, right?
    I'm almost 100% certain that monthly cups do not add points, also the finals are on the 2nd of August.

Protector

I still don't understand why the monthly final doesn't add any points. I feel like it should. :{

As Axslav mentioned before in this same post, the first year of Go4IC is about to pass and this was an experimental stage where stuff like this was being tested, Monthly finals might give points in the future but this is a discussable change, so give the devs a break guys! they have much more important stuff on their hands right now.
    "In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight.

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!"

Protector

You realize this has nothing to do with the devs :P