Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live Dev Q&A Chat: Champion Design and Balance on July 23rd

Ever wonder what EXACTLY goes into a Champion? Have a question for our Champion Design and Balance team? Join us for a live dev chat!

On Wednesday, July 23rd, we'll be joined by Jared "Hexx" Pruett from the Champion Design and Balance team! IC_Hexx will be covering what goes into making a champion, what our philosophies are behind balancing the champs, and give you an insight into just how a champion gets from a thought in someone's head to a serious contender.

The chat will be hosted live at 1 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) on http://www.twitch.tv/infinitecrisis.

If you have a question for the team but can't make it, post your question below. It could be read on air and answered by the team!
    Seraphina Brennan -- Community Manager, Infinite Crisis
    ""For hearts long lost and full of fright / For those alone in Blackest Night. / Accept our ring and join our fight / Love conquers all with violet light!""

Roles: Jungle/Assassin, Marksman, and sometimes Controller. Mains: Gaslight Catwoman, Mecha Wonder Woman, Gaslight Batman, Nightmare Robin, Nightmare Superman, Poison Ivy, Atomic Poison Ivy.

Re: Live Dev Q&A Chat: Champion Design and Balance on July 23rd

So nice, i got lots of questions.
    and can the real question be answered instead of the jokes one that are done in the stream, i kept waiting for my questions to be answered last time, and it never happened.

Will Jim "PlayByGray" Duffy be there?

NOT JIMMY= NO LIFE
    If you are having tech issues, want to report a bug, report a player, your code isn't working or got any comment or feedback.
    GO HERE:
    http://support.infinitecrisis.com/ic.../ticketNew.asp

Submit a ticket, to do all listed above and even more.

*How To post a DxDiag

*Infinite Crisis Forum's Rules

*I'm Famous <3
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
    MY FAV STREAMS!
    Sycogenesis' Stream :http://www.twitch.tv/sycogenesis
    Beco's Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/dps_beco
    Hammerborn's Stream: twitch.tv/hammerreborn

Community Advocate CH4_BrianFantana's Avatar

Esteemed developers, do you agree that AD Arcane Green Lantern is the new meta?
    Formerly Known as Hammerreborn

Come watch me at my Twitch Stream. I'm a community streamer, and I currently give away free swag every Friday and Sunday nights. Come for the swag, stay for the IC and Comics.

You can see up to date updates about times and giveaways and other events at my thread found here.

You stay classy Ron Burgandy

I do have a few questions.

1. What is taken into consideration when designing the resource for a champion? For example, what calls for energy, what calls for will or when do you know that is maybe better to come up with a custom resource.

2. Lorewise, what is energy? (Not champion design or balance specific but I am curious)

3. Can you list 2 or 3 core base designing characteristics for each of the classes?

4. Do you assign a class post design or pre design?

5. Are we getting a new champion and music for the login screen on September? (Not champion design or balance specific but I think is time)

Providing Harmony ItsThatAsianBoy's Avatar

What is the biggest challenge in designing champions?

How do you make sure that the champions stay as true to their comics as possible?

Balance! Remind Hexx of a promise made to me.
    It's a solid question, but unfortunately, the explanation would take much longer than I have time for at the moment. I'll try to address something like this in a separate post or maybe a stream.
    Now balance is a fun topic. "Do we want pure balance, slight intentional imbalance, natural imbalance, balancing for skill...?", and other questions like it are fun to discuss.
    The Coast City Nightly Games!
    A Coast City Guide: Updates SoonTM
    The Definition of SoonTM

My Guide for IC_Frelorn

Conquer Your Lane with Starro!

I am not a Turbine employee, and do not receive the compensation/benefits/privileges that employees do. Currently I have a pending application to be the Director of the Putting Things on Top of Other Things Department.

I'm on Dawnbase! Check highly rated guides for great builds and tips!

"The Earth had too many men." - Dycer 2014

"KS, it is what Dycers do best!"- Dycer 2015

I am one with Starro! All hail Starro.

The State of The_Dycer Adress

Getting back to daily words!
    Strange word of the day; Zounds: Mild oath
    If you win a spelling bee due to "Strange word of the day", I receive 2% of the winnings.
    Most Colorful Forum Signature
    I am running low on original colors!

18 No Death games in queue without an afk this patch!

Please explain Harley Quinn's design/build?

I get she's a hybrid, but why..?
    I just think it needs fixing. Unless I'm just not understanding.
    It's cute that she's support, but in actual game play...

OR maybe give us an entirely new Harley champion - such as New 52 or Atomic, Gaslight, etc?
    (Also, don't forget about the Harley Ame-Comi skin!)

Sorry if that was hard to understand, but basically I'm asking what went into her design and why would she be a hybrid support?
    Because I personally think she's the only badly designed champion (no offense)... I've just seen very few people play her and even fewer be decent with her.
    I really love her, but I just think she's no good to play as and would love to have a new Harley.
    I would die if you guys made a Suicide Squad Harley. She's so badass!
    Last edited by HarleyKiss; 07-21-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Q: A lot of times when nerfing weve seen extensive changes to characters, nerfing all parts of their kit, defenses, damage and their utility, and a few times this has completely ruined champions, resulting in them needing to be buffed back to usefulness the next patch. This happened to nightmare batman recently, but also prime batman before christmas, and from the potential patch notes in the forums i worry it may be happening to gaslight catwoman and nightmare superman (every single part of his W skill is being nerfed) in the next patch.
    My question is is this a deliberate approach, so that you can see the affect that this has on the champion in live and then the real balance patch comes second?

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyKiss View Post
    Please explain Harley Quinn's design/build?

I get she's a hybrid, but why..?
    I just think it needs fixing. Unless I'm just not understanding.
    It's cute that she's support, but in actual game play...

OR maybe give us an entirely new Harley champion - such as New 52 or Atomic, Gaslight, etc?
    (Also, don't forget about the Harley Ame-Comi skin!)

Sorry if that was hard to understand, but basically I'm asking what went into her design and why would she be a hybrid support?
    Because I personally think she's the only badly designed champion (no offense)... I've just seen very few people play her and even fewer be decent with her.
    I really love her, but I just think she's no good to play as and would love to have a new Harley.
    I would die if you guys made a Suicide Squad Harley. She's so badass!
    Not to spoil the chat, but IC_Hexx has a LOT to say on Harley. She's definitely going to be one of the main topics of this discussion.
    Seraphina Brennan -- Community Manager, Infinite Crisis
    ""For hearts long lost and full of fright / For those alone in Blackest Night. / Accept our ring and join our fight / Love conquers all with violet light!""

Roles: Jungle/Assassin, Marksman, and sometimes Controller. Mains: Gaslight Catwoman, Mecha Wonder Woman, Gaslight Batman, Nightmare Robin, Nightmare Superman, Poison Ivy, Atomic Poison Ivy.

Question: If an ability is thematic to the champion but will be difficult to program, I'm talking seriously difficult maybe involving changing core behavior behind the scenes or maybe creating a new mechanic all together, do you come up with a different ability concept, go ahead and begin work and figure it won't be the next champion release or some third option I haven't thought of.