Lightbulb Gotham Divided and "atmosphere"

Hey folks what's up!

I have some things to discuss about Gotham Divided and it's current state of atmosphere in the map itself, since I pointed this out yesterday on the official IC channel, thought it'd be better to make a forum post about this now that I'm laying in bed with a bit of a fever.
    Hopefully I can word this out correctly, if there's anything badly worded such as type-o's or mistakes here, let me know!

I've been thinking about Gotham Divided lots, I am a fan of tri-map lanes and can't wait for more improvement to happen as in the QnA was said that GD was their number 1 focus competitively.
    Also I love atmosphere in any game, if it's done right (example: Journey) it could look a-mazing.

The theme atmosphere for Gotham Heights is destruction, so I understand Turbine went for the dark-grainy look. After the Orbital Cannon capture points gets destroyed, the atmosphere/colour would look more darker/burgundy which is totally great and looks very interactive.

Looking at Coast City, looks very warm and inviting and eye-friendly. There is no "destruction" going on except for the Doomsday device, which looks badass with the bright yellow.

Since GD has no "Destruction" going on, it has the same grainy-atmosphere that GH has. This can be very confusing for champions who have the color like Blue Beetle. The bright blue is very destracting from the darkish look that GD has.

I would love to discuss some possible stuff and changing the colour scheme a bit on the map itself, it would look great since IC is pretty detailed itself.
    Last edited by OmgImSue; 07-24-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Streamer, shoutcaster and ESL Admin for Infinite Crisis

I also love taco's.

*Twitter

*Stream

Considering Harmony bozzylumpkins's Avatar

Re: Gotham Divided and "atmosphere"

It'd be nice if GD had more grass and the buildings and cars were a lot brighter. GD is very strange looking I totally agree, and it's somthing that might put off newer players to the genre of mobas as they'd probably want to play the map that looks the prettiest. It's really hard to think of some feedback right now but I'll sit on the question and think about it and comeback on how they could improve the atmosphere.

I think the atmosphere you're talking about for Gotham Divided would have to be the theme that it's two worlds that collided with each other to form this one terrain that you can distinctly see each world in it's own. Hence the name "Divided," you see parts of a modern Gotham as compared to a Gaslight themed Gotham. You can see that one side consists of office buildings, streets, grass parks, modern day compact cars, fluorescent lighting....while on the other side you see factories, pipes, classic automobiles, incandescent lighting.

People don't really pay attention to these details but it's there. Really awesome in fact. If any change should come that might help players realize this more is probably a more unique, distinct line or crack in the terrain that separates the middle of each lane. Majority of the game is spent in lane and that's where you spend your time looking. Right now, it's kind of there but not as noticeable and doesn't scream at you like, "Hey! This is the middle of the lane...whoa, red side has this while blue side has this. It's divided!" Something that really tells you like, hey I'm really far into the other team's territory would be nice.

in GD well i will like to see some rat or pigeon, maybe some raining or like a creepy but smoothly fog.

Off-topic: in CC it will be awesome if as long the game progress and tropical storm hit the map and we can see the big waves hitting the shore of the map and some palm falling down to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SG_Maestro View Post
    I think the atmosphere you're talking about for Gotham Divided would have to be the theme that it's two worlds that collided with each other to form this one terrain that you can distinctly see each world in it's own. Hence the name "Divided," you see parts of a modern Gotham as compared to a Gaslight themed Gotham. You can see that one side consists of office buildings, streets, grass parks, modern day compact cars, fluorescent lighting....while on the other side you see factories, pipes, classic automobiles, incandescent lighting.
    Exactly, I would love to see GD be more interactive with it's current theme. Same with Coast City; how it looks so warm I would love to see the same colour set on GD either on one side or both even!
    Streamer, shoutcaster and ESL Admin for Infinite Crisis

I also love taco's.

*Twitter

*Stream

Quote Originally Posted by OmgImSue View Post
    Exactly, I would love to see GD be more interactive with it's current theme. Same with Coast City; how it looks so warm I would love to see the same colour set on GD either on one side or both even!
    I know they said they wont change this, but I feel like it needs saying because I really do think it could help fix one of the problems OmgImSue is talking about; the jungle creatures. I feel that if they changed the jungle creatures then it would help make the map more interactive with its current theme. There are (at least I know there were) many threads talking about possible changes from generic, plain looking robots to something else so I wont go into it too much, but I do think that even if they just kept the robots, they could try and change the aesthetics and make the ones on the gaslight side look more steampunk, and perhaps try to make the ones on the prime side more contemporary. It might not help with making it look more like Coast City (which I dont really want), but I do think it would help the map better illustrate the whole "collision of two universes" concept.