Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Map Balance - August patch

Hi folks, much like the character team, we are trying to be a bit more transparent about our changes for the next patch by releasing the ‘patch notes’ a bit earlier. This should give us some time to discuss them, and for the community to bring up any issues or concerns with the changes before they go live.

In the August update, we are only doing a few slight changes aimed at reducing match length. Current matches are averaging around 45-55 minutes, which is a bit longer than we would like them to be taking. In addition, it’s just incredibly hard to end the match sub 30 minutes, unless it is completely one sided. Reducing the match length will also decrease queue times, since the matches will be taking less time to complete.

The single biggest change we are making to address this is increasing the respawn timers.

Code:
    Time - In game match time
    Level - Your assumed champion level (this is an estimate)
    July - As of the July update (Live now!)
    August - This will be changed in the August update.

Time	Level	July   August
    1	2	12	10
    2	3	14	11
    3	4	16	12
    4	5	18	13
    5	5	18	13
    6	6	20	14
    7	7	22	15
    8	7	22	15
    9	8	24	16
    10	8	24	16
    11	9	26	19
    12	10	28	21
    13	10	28	23
    14	11	30	25
    15	11	30	27
    16	12	32	30
    17	12	32	31
    18	13	34	35
    19	13	34	36
    20	14	36	40
    21	15	39	43
    22	15	40	45
    23	16	42	49
    24	16	43	51
    25	17	46	55
    26	17	47	57
    27	18	50	61
    28	18	51	63
    29	19	54	68
    30	19	55	70
    31	19	56	72
    32	19	57	74
    33	19	58	76
    34	19	59	78
    35	19	60	80
    36	19	61	82
    37	19	62	84
    38	19	63	86
    39	19	63	89
    40	19	64	91
    41	19	65	93
    42	19	66	95
    43	19	67	97
    44	19	68	99
    45	19	69	100
    46	19	69	100
    47	19	69	100
    48	19	69	100
    49	19	69	100
    50	19	69	100
    51	19	69	100
    52	19	69	100
    53	19	69	100
    54	19	69	100
    55	19	69	100
    56	19	69	100
    57	19	69	100
    58	19	69	100
    59	19	69	100
    60	19	69	100
    You will noticed that before the 20 minute mark, the timers are unchanged for the most part. We ensure you miss at least one wave of farm by making sure the timer is above 30 seconds. Post 20 minutes however, is a different story.

This is a diagram of the travel times between lanes and the base.
    http://i.imgur.com/gYJkikQ.png

It takes approximately 30 seconds to get from the base to the center of the map. It takes about 50 seconds to get to the enemy dampener for your base. The fact that there is a long travel time and a short respawn timer (sub 50 seconds before 27 minutes) means that even if you wipe the enemy team, by the time you get to their base they are already respawning. This just doesn’t give you enough time to make any measureable lane progress when you win a team fight.

We have done some other changes to address this, such as increasing the base movement speed of all champions as the game progresses, however this will have the biggest impact on how the game plays out.

In addition to the Respawn Timer change, we are also increasing the base movement speed of all drones by about 7% (300ms to 320ms). This will help the minions keep up with player’s late game, so they aren’t sitting in front of dampeners waiting for drones to catch up so they can siege it.

We are also capping the level of the turrets earlier into the match. Turrets will stop gaining additional attack power after 15 minutes, allowing drones to keep scaling past them. This will lead to players and drones destroying them faster, the later the game goes on.

We are also making a few more changes in the September update aimed at match resolution times, but I’ll be talking those in a separate post.
    Last edited by IC_Fantus; 07-25-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Re: Map Balance - August patch

"
    We are also capping the level of the turrets earlier into the match. Turrets will stop gaining additional attack power after 15 minutes, allowing drones to keep scaling past them. This will lead to players and drones destroying them faster, the later the game goes on."

at what time does the turrets stop gaining attack power in the current build? does this affect how much damage they will do to champions?

80+ seconds at 35 minutes seems like a bit long to me. It's a lot of time just doing nothing if you die. I feel like just increasing the movespeed, either base or scaling, on all champs so it doesn't take 30 seconds to get halfway across the map would be a better way to speed the game up.

Considering Harmony AWARE.FreshSnow's Avatar

I think this is at least a start to closing games out in a reasonable time and I will happily re-install to test this.

Lucho Conquerer CH4_BrianFantana's Avatar

In addition to the Respawn Timer change, we are also increasing the base movement speed of all drones by about 7% (300ms to 320ms). This will help the minions keep up with player’s late game, so they aren’t sitting in front of dampeners waiting for drones to catch up so they can siege it.
    Is it possible instead of this to add a "charging" buff instead once the minions reach the first enemy turret location and increase their speed more so than just a flat increase? That way when the lane is pushed, the minions will push faster while the pushed lanes will be more compacted and slower to push back, making it so champion intervention is probably needed to turn the tide in that lane.

Just a thought I haven't put much into in terms of feasibility or end result
    Formerly Known as Hammerreborn

Come watch me at my Twitch Stream. I'm a community streamer, and I currently give away free swag every Friday and Sunday nights. Come for the swag, stay for the IC and Comics.

You can see up to date updates about times and giveaways and other events at my thread found here.

You stay classy Ron Burgandy

Quote Originally Posted by IC_Fantus View Post

We could possibly increase the movespeed of Drones after a team annihilation to reward teamfights as well as gain possible lane progress as a result.
    You can find me writing guides on Dawnbase under LaserCircus
    You can also find me writing guides on InfiniteFire under LaserCircus
    You can tweet me on Twitter @TMeisterJ10
    You can also find me on twitch.tv/tmeisterj

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewb969 View Post
    "
    We are also capping the level of the turrets earlier into the match. Turrets will stop gaining additional attack power after 15 minutes, allowing drones to keep scaling past them. This will lead to players and drones destroying them faster, the later the game goes on."

at what time does the turrets stop gaining attack power in the current build? does this affect how much damage they will do to champions?
    Previously they were capping at level 30, or 45 minutes into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick3570 View Post
    80+ seconds at 35 minutes seems like a bit long to me. It's a lot of time just doing nothing if you die. I feel like just increasing the movespeed, either base or scaling, on all champs so it doesn't take 30 seconds to get halfway across the map would be a better way to speed the game up.
    So there were actually 4 solutions that we came up with.
    1. Increase the respawn timers
    2. Reduce the size of the map
    3. Make the drones push harder
    4. Increase movement speed

Reducing the size of the map would require a full redesign of GD, and a significant amount of art. We deemed this unfeasible to do in the timeframe we were looking at for the September update.

Making the drones push harder led to matches that players felt they didn't really win or lose. In all cases we want the players actions to have meaning, which means focusing as much on player skill and pushing is more important. 'Winions' are funny, but they should occur only when the players are winning, and not arbitrarily in the middle of the match.

Increasing the movement speed is a viable fix, but only in moderation. Keep in mind the faster players move, the harder it becomes to hit skill shots. We don't want to overdo the player movement speed. As far as the minions are concerned, they only spawn every 30 seconds. making them move faster is a two way street, and they are just going to engage each other faster which will lead to less build up. The slower the minions move, the harder they push turrets on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerreborn View Post
    Is it possible instead of this to add a "charging" buff instead once the minions reach the first enemy turret location and increase their speed more so than just a flat increase? That way when the lane is pushed, the minions will push faster while the pushed lanes will be more compacted and slower to push back, making it so champion intervention is probably needed to turn the tide in that lane.

Just a thought I haven't put much into in terms of feasibility or end result
    See above, in regards to Winions and movement speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserCircus View Post
    We could possibly increase the movespeed of Drones after a team annihilation to reward teamfights as well as gain possible lane progress as a result.
    This might be more viable, but it's hard to insert logic in that will do something like this and at the same time be apparent to players what is actually happening. Who would you explain this to a new player? What sort of feedback would you provide to explain that this had occurred? This would require more thought.

Considering Harmony AWARE.FreshSnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IC_Fantus View Post
    Previously they were capping at level 30, or 45 minutes into the game.

So there were actually 4 solutions that we came up with.
    1. Increase the respawn timers
    2. Reduce the size of the map
    3. Make the drones push harder
    4. Increase movement speed

Reducing the size of the map would require a full redesign of GD, and a significant amount of art. We deemed this unfeasible to do in the timeframe we were looking at for the September update.

Making the drones push harder led to matches that players felt they didn't really win or lose. In all cases we want the players actions to have meaning, which means focusing as much on player skill and pushing is more important. 'Winions' are funny, but they should occur only when the players are winning, and not arbitrarily in the middle of the match.

Increasing the movement speed is a viable fix, but only in moderation. Keep in mind the faster players move, the harder it becomes to hit skill shots. We don't want to overdo the player movement speed. As far as the minions are concerned, they only spawn every 30 seconds. making them move faster is a two way street, and they are just going to engage each other faster which will lead to less build up. The slower the minions move, the harder they push turrets on their own.

See above, in regards to Winions and movement speeds.

This might be more viable, but it's hard to insert logic in that will do something like this and at the same time be apparent to players what is actually happening. Who would you explain this to a new player? What sort of feedback would you provide to explain that this had occurred? This would require more thought.
    Upon an "ACE" occuring, the immeadiate next wave (and only that wave) of minions are promoted to the 'super' minions.

Would need testing, of course.

I actually like the idea of a global movement speed increase. not only would it help speed the game up, but it will also sounds like it would be more fun for players. Longer respawn times promotes safer play, but also means people will be sitting around waiting to jump back in longer. That might be a bit frustrating for players. A marriage of the ideas is best, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by AwA_FreshSnow View Post
    Upon an "ACE" occuring, the immeadiate next wave (and only that wave) of minions are promoted to the 'super' minions.

Would need testing, of course.
    I feel like this would be a massive punishment for 1 misplayed team fight as the super minions are so strong. I think the other changes with death timers and increased move speed would be a much more effective fix.