Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: An important message to the Community and the Devs

Unsolicited advice is largely unwanted and unliked. I've been on both ends of this, as well as watched friends try to help people who just don't want to be helped. If you're careful and courteous, you can ask if they want tips, but you risk sounding pretentious. Nobody likes being bad at the game, and being told you are bad and that you need help (which is exactly what giving them pointers is) only adds fuel to the fire.

It's not a logical thing, it's an emotional thing. Being bad and being called bad feels bad. Be careful when you offer unsolicited advise!

Edit: I want to be clear that, while I'm blunt with my word usage of "bad," I don't intend to attach any "lesser player" baggage, I just mean not adept at Infinite Crisis (yet).
    Last edited by Paradigm; 07-30-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Community Advocate CH4_BrianFantana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tSpark View Post
    I've worked in different companies, and been in teams in different games, and I don't want to be hurtful with what I say, but the way you're addressing this is a classic "I don't want feedback" attitude which normally doesn't mean one is just bad at what he does, it also means he doesn't care about improvement, and he also doesn't care how his negative results are affecting other peoples' experience negatively in whatever it is, if its a game or work.

and this time it isn't my opinion, this has been a standard hiring policy in companies I've worked with, "not willing to take constructive advice, go elsewhere" so might as well learn here before people start discarding you.
    And yet you posted this thread wondering why people are negative towards you or other "pro" players. The elitism in this thread is appalling.

"If they don't want to hear me tell them how bad they are they should stop being bad and learn from the best (aka me). And if they don't want to hear my criticism they should just stop playing because if they can't take my criticism in a video game they won't be able to get a real job either!"
    Formerly Known as Hammerreborn

Come watch me at my Twitch Stream. I'm a community streamer, and I currently give away free swag every Friday and Sunday nights. Come for the swag, stay for the IC and Comics.

You can see up to date updates about times and giveaways and other events at my thread found here.

You stay classy Ron Burgandy

I only made the comparison hoping people would understand it better, since all people have done in this post was to be like,

"I understood this my way and I don't like it" then i rephrase to make it simpler and they're like "I still don't like it cos it isn't perfect for me it's just fair for everyone"

However what I've learnt from my own words and from people's comments is that in reality I'm just wishing for the community to evolve into a stage where everyone has positive attitudes and is looking to have fun, from which improving is a process to do so, however some of the people who posted here have just tried to discredit other replies or put down constructive comments, which as much as ignorance towards feedback is bad, discrediting feedback is probably worse, this is just a showing that someone isn't just not seeking to learn, but hes trying to stop others too,

I'll probably let this be my last post, I'd rather not continue argue for nothing.
    "In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight.

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Unsolicited advice is largely unwanted and unliked. I've been on both ends of this, as well as watched friends try to help people who just don't want to be helped. If you're careful and courteous, you can ask if they want tips, but you risk sounding pretentious. Nobody likes being bad at the game, and being told you are bad and that you need help (which is exactly what giving them pointers is) only adds fuel to the fire.

It's not a logical thing, it's an emotional thing. Being bad and being called bad feels bad. Be careful when you offer unsolicited advise!

Edit: I want to be clear that, while I'm blunt with my word usage of "bad," I don't intend to attach any "lesser player" baggage, I just mean not adept at Infinite Crisis (yet).
    That's true. You could preface it with something like, "Hey [protector], good job with x! Mind if I offer some build pointers for better will sustain?" An excellent tactic I learned from work is to remove "you" when starting these kinds of discussions so that it feels less like a directed or personal attack.

Protector

Thing is, if you are getting matchmade with people who are considered pro it's fair to think that you're pretty good. People don't usually get to that level without some thought about tactics or strategy. It's not an assumption that all players care about such things, just one about players who get into games with very good players.

That said, matchmaking has issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
    Thing is, if you are getting matchmade with people who are considered pro it's fair to think that you're pretty good. People don't usually get to that level without some thought about tactics or strategy. It's not an assumption that all players care about such things, just one about players who get into games with very good players.

That said, matchmaking has issues.
    Being matched is one thing. Not going 0-20 and still insulting someone is another.

I sometimes get matched with some players from better placed teams, say Ju7su fron NaVi or whomever it is, and win or not, we pretty much always discuss what we were curious about, like mistakes or random items we never wouldv'e tought to build. So if we do it why shouldn't others?

Protector

I'm not arguing with you, I'm saying that people being inclined to discuss is a fairer assumption than some people are making out. Specifically, if someone gets in a game with you they're unlikely to be inept from an absolute point of view.

I sometimes get matched with some players from better placed teams, say Ju7su fron NaVi or whomever it is, and win or not, we pretty much always discuss what we were curious about, like mistakes or random items we never wouldv'e tought to build. So if we do it why shouldn't others?
    Not everyone cares about the implications of item choices they make or realizes that it has significance.

You're kind of just assuming that everyone should enjoy the game your way with this question.
    Sinestro Corps Member

@lyri
    o
    n

f
    f

n
    o

Quote Originally Posted by JLA-Lyri View Post
    Not everyone cares about the implications of item choices they make or realizes that it has significance.

You're kind of just assuming that everyone should enjoy the game your way with this question.
    Enjoying my way? if playing good is my way then wow sry for creating the concept of being good at a game. But seriously...No.

Fact is, and you know this out of other moba's and I don't want to make examples in this forum that the better you play the more you enjoy the game and the better you treat your teammates and vice versa, but as I have said and will repeat now, some of the people posting here aren't doing it to give positive feedback, they're just attempting to discredit solid arguments.

Considering Harmony

Enjoying my way? if playing good is my way then wow sry for creating the concept of being good at a game. But seriously...No.

Fact is, and you know this out of other moba's and I don't want to make examples in this forum that the better you play the more you enjoy the game and the better you treat your teammates and vice versa, but as I have said and will repeat now, some of the people posting here aren't doing it to give positive feedback, they're just attempting to discredit solid arguments.
    Dude, you're being too elitist here, really. Most of people will reactly bad when you go: "hey, do this! i'm pro, I know , just obey". If someone is doing badly in the match, you might ask them if you can give some tips, and more, like someone said up here, if you recognize when they do a good job, if will become a lot easier to try to help.