Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My first Bass Guitar Cover

I've been playing bass guitar for almost a year now, and I'm trying to get a Metal tribute band going. This is my first complete song, and I am very happy to bring it out, although I wish I had someone to hold the camera.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2BKW7Fy9U4

Re: My first Bass Guitar Cover

You need to tune your bass.
    Sinestro Corps Member

@lyri
    o
    n

f
    f

n
    o

Quote Originally Posted by JLA-Lyri View Post
    You need to tune your bass.
    It's in B-E-A-D-G here. Not sure what you're trying to say, but it wasn't out of tune during the video.

Quote Originally Posted by GREW50ME View Post
    It's in B-E-A-D-G here. Not sure what you're trying to say, but it wasn't out of tune during the video.
    You'll probably need to work on your recording then because you sound off, the whole thing is muddy and hard to really hear how well (or not) you're playing.
    Sinestro Corps Member

@lyri
    o
    n

f
    f

n
    o

You'll probably need to work on your recording then because you sound off, the whole thing is muddy and hard to really hear how well (or not) you're playing.
    Well, I thank you for stopping by and giving it a listen. Cliff's original track was heavily overdriven, and somehow, I overdid it. The video was also recorded with a cell phone cam. My amp is a TC electronics BG 250, which has a feature to block overdrive, or so I thought. I need to play around some more and get the right amount distortion and accuracy. Anyway, a lot of overdrive is coming through here and muddying it up, but it's basically more of a demo than an actual production. I'm happy with this run for now, but I'm always looking to learn.

Are you also a musician?
    Last edited by GREW50ME; 08-04-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: typo

Well, I thank you for stopping by and giving it a listen. Cliff's original track was heavily overdriven, and somehow, I overdid it. The video was also recorded with a cell phone cam. My amp is a TC electronics BG 250, which has a feature to block overdrive, or so I thought. I need to play around some more and get the right amount distortion and accuracy. Anyway, a lot of overdrive is coming through here and muddying it up, but it's basically more of a demo than an actual production. I'm happy with this run for now, but I'm always looking to learn.

Are you also a musician?
    Yes, I am a muscian.

I play Guitar, Bass, Violin and I used to run a sound engineering company.

Whatever you can hear is probably different from what everyone else hears, I'm hearing the tune but it sounds way off and I can hear a few places where there are notes that shouldn't be. It also isn't the best song to present as a cover, if I were you and you're looking for some awesome oldschool Metallica I would recommend Orion.
    That song is nuts, the bass is amazing.

For whom the bell tolls is very ploddy.
    Sinestro Corps Member

@lyri
    o
    n

f
    f

n
    o

Yes, I am a muscian.

I play Guitar, Bass, Violin and I used to run a sound engineering company.

Whatever you can hear is probably different from what everyone else hears, I'm hearing the tune but it sounds way off and I can hear a few places where there are notes that shouldn't be. It also isn't the best song to present as a cover, if I were you and you're looking for some awesome oldschool Metallica I would recommend Orion.
    That song is nuts, the bass is amazing.

For whom the bell tolls is very ploddy.
    I am working on Orion, but you know... work, school, etc. I don't know anybody who mastered that song in 11 months, which is where I am at. It took Cliff himself ~12,000 hours of playing to get to that point, and I think I have maybe ~500 hours of practice logged, so there you go.

For me though, Ride the Lightning will always hold a special place in my heart. It's blackened, depressing, dark, and deep. It's honestly more in the darker/grittier part of metal than MOP in my opinion. Call of Cthulhu (or however they misspell it) is also on my list of songs. I'd like to get a band gigging a handful of old school metal covers by next year. By that time, mayhaps you will find my work more precise and palatable for trained ears.

I am working on Orion, but you know... work, school, etc. I don't know anybody who mastered that song in 11 months, which is where I am at. It took Cliff himself ~12,000 hours of playing to get to that point, and I think I have maybe ~500 hours of practice logged, so there you go.
    Good luck with it, fun song. One of my favourites.

For me though, Ride the Lightning will always hold a special place in my heart. It's blackened, depressing, dark, and deep. It's honestly more in the darker/grittier part of metal than MOP in my opinion. Call of Cthulhu (or however they misspell it) is also on my list of songs. I'd like to get a band gigging a handful of old school metal covers by next year. By that time, mayhaps you will find my work more precise and palatable for trained ears.
    It gets old pretty quick tbh, I don't find it too great of an album. Its a good transition piece from Kill them All to MoP but thats all.
    Sinestro Corps Member

@lyri
    o
    n

f
    f

n
    o

Good luck with it, fun song. One of my favourites.

It gets old pretty quick tbh, I don't find it too great of an album. Its a good transition piece from Kill them All to MoP but thats all.
    That's not the way I see it. It seems like you're more into the skill of the playing than the actual feel of the music. For example, I would consider Danzig a better band than Dream Theater, even though they have less musical ability.

That's not the way I see it.
    I got that the first time when I replied to that comment.

That's not the way I see it. It seems like you're more into the skill of the playing than the actual feel of the music. For example, I would consider Danzig a better band than Dream Theater, even though they have less musical ability.
    No not really, it is just a half way house album.

It doesn't have the thrash chops like Kill them All did and it doesn't have the scale of Master of Puppets, it is neither one or the other and in my opinion doesn't stand up as well. It gets very old, very fast but a lot of people really like it.
    Last edited by JLA-Lyri; 08-08-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    Sinestro Corps Member

@lyri
    o
    n

f
    f

n
    o