Calling all comic book readers, I need your help!

Ok, so I figure this is probably one of the best places to ask comic fans all my comic questions. So I just started reading comics (literally less than a week ago) and I had a few questions. I'm asking that before you answer, please don't put any spoilers or tell me what happens; I would much rather just read it myself. I just read Future's End and am a little confused on the backstory. Where do I go to fill my missing knowledge? For example, where do I go to read up on why superman is wearing a mask and what happened to the original superman? Do I need to read up on the Earth-2 comics to keep up with the war they are talking about?

I also read Batman Eternal, and I want to know about the bat-family. What do I read to find out what happened to Dick Grayson? How do I know which comic books tie in with one another or are they all part of the same continuity? For example, are all the batman titles tied together i.e. Detective Comics, Batman, Batman Eternal, Batman: Earth One, etc.

Are they any comics you guys would recommend me getting into? Again, please don't tell me straight up what happens to these characters, just direct me on what to read! Thx in advanced guys!

Community Advocate CH4_BrianFantana's Avatar

Re: Calling all comic book readers, I need your help!

Quote Originally Posted by RG_SoundByte View Post
    Ok, so I figure this is probably one of the best places to ask comic fans all my comic questions. So I just started reading comics (literally less than a week ago) and I had a few questions. I'm asking that before you answer, please don't put any spoilers or tell me what happens; I would much rather just read it myself. I just read Future's End and am a little confused on the backstory. Where do I go to fill my missing knowledge? For example, where do I go to read up on why superman is wearing a mask and what happened to the original superman? Do I need to read up on the Earth-2 comics to keep up with the war they are talking about?

I also read Batman Eternal, and I want to know about the bat-family. What do I read to find out what happened to Dick Grayson? How do I know which comic books tie in with one another or are they all part of the same continuity? For example, are all the batman titles tied together i.e. Detective Comics, Batman, Batman Eternal, Batman: Earth One, etc.

Are they any comics you guys would recommend me getting into? Again, please don't tell me straight up what happens to these characters, just direct me on what to read! Thx in advanced guys!
    For futures end, it all takes place 5 years in the future (though some points are 35?). Superman with mask happens at some point between now and then, but the specifics are unknown.

For earth 2, maybe. The earth 2 war looks like it'll be it's own separate story or expanded upon in the future, but there has been little linking between earth prime and earth 2 (at best, batman/superman traveled to earth 2, power girl and huntress are from earth 2, and apokolips attacked batman in robin rises: omega).

Dick Grayson and what "happened" to him is found in the forever evil event.

As for the tie ins, generally they are labeled the same. For instance, death in the family had books in nightwing, batman and robin, batman, batgirl and detective comics I believe. Earth one is an entirely different universe which doesn't link with anything else.

Most of them aren't terribly necessary. For instance, you can get away with probably just reading the forever evil books without touching the rogue rebellion (I enjoyed this though), arkham war (I hated this), or the justice league comics (these give some good backstory on the characters in forever evil and others).

Ok, so for future's end, does this superman (with a mask) appear in any other comic? How can I tell if Earth 1 comics was a completely different universe? They mention in Future's End that they are Earth 1. Are any of the Justice League New 52 comics tied to Future's End? If so, should I start reading it?

Another question I had about Future's End is what's up with the people who appear in Grifter's storyline (the ones he is hunting)? Are they refugees from Earth-2 or Apokolypse or something like that? Is there a comic series that can fill me in on that or is that stuff they will just fill in later?

And I get now that tie-ins can be labeled the same title but what about books that are specifically about one character, do they all exist in the same universe? For example, is Batman Eternal part of the same universe as the Batman comics and Detective comics? Or are they all just random story arcs? And if they all are just random story arcs, how will I ever know what is "canon" and what isn't?

Thanks for the help hammerreborn

if you are referring to the damonites then you need to read some old school wild c.a.t.s. the Wildstorm stuff that predates Wildstorm being bought out by then merged with DC. the whole Damonite thing is a long story that has its roots in the wild C.A.T.S. comic. I can give you some of the specifics if you want.

part of the problem with the new DC format (and this is one of the many reasons I no longer read the new stuff) is they have stated that all the stuff that came before the merging (see flash point) is cannon unless they say otherwise, and even if they say otherwise they won't explain what's different until they want to, and you (the reader) just need to go with it.

Who is this Masked Superman will be explained in the next future's end issues. People are speculating that Superman is missing (same as Batman) and that the masked Superman is Shazam, but as I said this is pure speculation.

Ok, so for future's end, does this superman (with a mask) appear in any other comic? How can I tell if Earth 1 comics was a completely different universe? They mention in Future's End that they are Earth 1. Are any of the Justice League New 52 comics tied to Future's End? If so, should I start reading it?

Another question I had about Future's End is what's up with the people who appear in Grifter's storyline (the ones he is hunting)? Are they refugees from Earth-2 or Apokolypse or something like that? Is there a comic series that can fill me in on that or is that stuff they will just fill in later?

And I get now that tie-ins can be labeled the same title but what about books that are specifically about one character, do they all exist in the same universe? For example, is Batman Eternal part of the same universe as the Batman comics and Detective comics? Or are they all just random story arcs? And if they all are just random story arcs, how will I ever know what is "canon" and what isn't?

Thanks for the help hammerreborn
    New 52 universe is almost always referred to as earth prime. Earth one (superman and batman) are completely separate, and so is earth 2 (for now).

There is no comic with masked superman except for futures end, because that happens some pointe tween current continuity and 5 years in the future. No other comic ties in to futures end, it's completely stand alone. Though technically every issue sorta leads to it since it's a future timeline so what happened to superman will technically happen in the regular comics first, as well as the earth 2 war.

Earth 2 would probably give you a good rundown on what's happening with apokolips and stuff and it's written by my current fav, Tom Taylor, who has made that series go from bleh to amazing

As for batman eternal, that's also a future story, and has the same sort of results (bat books would give you the backstory eventually as to what's going down). It's a bit more self contained than futures end because there is no like, event, that occurred that hasn't been seen yet. Batman, batgirl, red hood, batwing, and batwoman are tryin to save Gotham.

Thanks wurm_king, I decided to read up on daemonites through wiki and that seems to have filled me in. And thanks everyone else, this information has helped a ton.

And I was thinking the superman was masked because he was really the superman from Earth-2

Thanks wurm_king, I decided to read up on daemonites through wiki and that seems to have filled me in. And thanks everyone else, this information has helped a ton.

And I was thinking the superman was masked because he was really the superman from Earth-2
    Also a possibility.
    Formerly Known as Hammerreborn

Come watch me at my Twitch Stream. I'm a community streamer, and I currently give away free swag every Friday and Sunday nights. Come for the swag, stay for the IC and Comics.

You can see up to date updates about times and giveaways and other events at my thread found here.

You stay classy Ron Burgandy

Ok, so I just caught up on Earth-2 and it looks like it is definitely tied to the Future's End series. I'm just upset now that I have to wait another month before the next Earth-2 book comes out.