Page 1 of 17 123 11 ... LastLast

Weekend Event: Gotham Heights Ranked

Fight your way up the ladder this weekend on Gotham Heights Ranked!

The event will start at 6 PM Eastern (GMT -4) Thursday, August 14th and run to 11:59 PM Eastern (GTM -4) Sunday, August 17th. All Protectors will begin at 1200 ELO before choosing their favorite DC heroes and villains and stirring up a cosmic-sized storm of meteorites and Assault Drone drops.

Discuss this event with your fellow Protectors below!
    Seraphina Brennan -- Community Manager, Infinite Crisis
    ""For hearts long lost and full of fright / For those alone in Blackest Night. / Accept our ring and join our fight / Love conquers all with violet light!""

Roles: Jungle/Assassin, Marksman, and sometimes Controller. Mains: Gaslight Catwoman, Mecha Wonder Woman, Gaslight Batman, Nightmare Robin, Nightmare Superman, Poison Ivy, Atomic Poison Ivy.

Re: Weekend Event: Gotham Heights Ranked

What is the reasoning behind GH over the competitive maps GD/CC?

Providing Harmony ItsThatAsianBoy's Avatar

Gotham Heights?
    But GH isn't the competitive map, why?

Quote Originally Posted by KG_Danuck View Post
    What is the reasoning behind GH over the competitive maps GD/CC?
    That's a very, very good question. One that I can answer with DATAAAA!

We've been talking, actually, about re-opening the Gotham Divided Ranked queue and doing a weekend event there. However, after looking at the data, we don't believe we're going to do that at this time due to the following:

• Of the people who play Gotham Divided, not many qualify for ranked. (Either don't have the levels or, more commonly, don't meet the 14 unlocked characters.)
    • Of the existing community, we know we'd split the queue in half. Gotham Heights players are not going to leave their map for Gotham Divided. We've watched this behavior when we turned on Coast City. More people who play Gotham Divided left that map to play Coast City than players who play Gotham Heights. We don't believe adding ranked is going to bring Gotham Heights players into Divided, so it won't add more population to that map. Your queue times on Gotham Divided are already not the best, and we don't want to exacerbate that problem for both the ranked and unranked queues.

Gotham Heights, on the other hand...

• Has a variety of players who do meet the requirements for ranked. We are going to further improve this number by turning on extra characters this weekend to make sure that players have enough champions to play ranked if they so choose.
    • Is a larger community with lower queue times.
    • Could possibly withstand the split of adding in a ranked queue without having queue times on both drop out.
    • Has never had ranked turned on for them. Ever. In fact, there have been members of the Gotham Heights community that didn't believe me when I said we could enable a ranked queue for them. So, well, here's proof that we really did create ranked queues for all maps.

So, the Gotham Heights community is really, really resilient. It's also our largest community amongst all of the maps played (and that includes Coast City on an open weekend. The split is roughly 60% play Gotham Heights, 20% play Coast City, 20% play Gotham Divided.) It's a community that can provide solid queue times on both ranked and unranked play, and it's a community that have never gotten to try a ranked mode. For all of these reasons, we thought it would be awesome to do something like this for a weekend for them and see how it went.

Will we re-enable Gotham Divided Ranked again at some time in the future? Sure! But, we want to do it at a time when we can be relatively sure that it would not lead to poor queue times for all involved.
    Last edited by Celestrata; 08-13-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    Seraphina Brennan -- Community Manager, Infinite Crisis
    ""For hearts long lost and full of fright / For those alone in Blackest Night. / Accept our ring and join our fight / Love conquers all with violet light!""

Roles: Jungle/Assassin, Marksman, and sometimes Controller. Mains: Gaslight Catwoman, Mecha Wonder Woman, Gaslight Batman, Nightmare Robin, Nightmare Superman, Poison Ivy, Atomic Poison Ivy.

Considering Harmony dignitas_Darky-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ItsThatAsianBoy View Post
    Gotham Heights?
    But GH isn't the competitive map, why?
    This.
    GH is not the competitive map, why the choice of giving them the option to do so? That'll just end up in longer queue times for GH aswell...

Why not open a ranked q without level or hero limits on CC or GD

Sorry this fails on so many levels i dont know where to start,

Bonus xp / cxp maybe even merit yes , CC yes but ranked for just one weekend that really isnt new for the community given it will barely shift for the 1st day and meet the error you guys have already admitted that the good end of the ladder gets filled , the bad end of the ladder gets filled and the ppl around average just get gypped.

So much more that can be said why this is bad but tying to avoid being to negative so i will leave it there.

However why people leave GD for CC is a simple answer , The gains.

In GH you can earn what a GD player does in 2 hours xp/merit/cxp wise in under an hour , WHich is why many hopped to cc as its fun for them and has better gains vs time played.
    Last edited by Dannin; 08-13-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Considering Harmony dignitas_Darky-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestrata View Post
    [*]Is a larger community with lower queue times.
    This seems counterproductive for me. I don't expect a large portion of the GH community to go ahead and play Ranked, because, they already had 2options during the CC event to play competitive maps. Yet, they sticked to their GH Map and didn't use either of the competitive options. What i see happening with a GH Ranked queue is just a minority of GH players swapping to Ranked, maybe a couple of GD players playing Ranked just because it's ranked, but that won't last long. Then, what i think will happen is that those GH Ranked players will notice long queue times/if any queue pops, leading to them just going back to regular GH.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, i'm not upset about GH getting a Ranked Queue. I fully understand that the GD Playerbase currently can not handle a seperate Ranked Queue. I just don't see any real point in the GH Ranked Queue either, other than them testing the system, which is obviously a good thing/a needed thing.
    Last edited by dignitas_Darky-; 08-13-2014 at 08:20 PM.

One With Starro CH4_BrianFantana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dignitas_Darky- View Post
    This.
    GH is not the competitive map, why the choice of giving them the option to do so? That'll just end up in longer queue times for GH aswell...
    I'm pretty sure every map is a competitive map. Because you know, its a pvp game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannin View Post
    Sorry this fails on so many levels i dont know where to start,

Bonus xp / cxp maybe even merit yes , CC yes but ranked for just one weekend that really isnt new for the community given it will barely shift for the 1st day and meet the error you guys have already admitted that the good end of the ladder gets filled , the bad end of the ladder gets filled and the ppl around average just get gypped.

So much more that can be said why this is bad but tying to avoid being to negative so i will leave it there.
    Or...they could be establishing ELOs for the more active players so that when they finally "release", all the high level players won't stomp all the new ones.
    Formerly Known as Hammerreborn

Come watch me at my Twitch Stream. I'm a community streamer, and I currently give away free swag every Friday and Sunday nights. Come for the swag, stay for the IC and Comics.

You can see up to date updates about times and giveaways and other events at my thread found here.

You stay classy Ron Burgandy

Considering Harmony AWARE.FreshSnow's Avatar

TBH, you'll open ranked queues on GH and the competitive players will go play it, and most likely dominate the non-competitive players repeatedly and 2 things will happen; the GH players will quit playing ranked after losing repeatedly to people far above their skill level, and the competitive players will end up with long queue times again as their ELO skyrockets out of nowhere and nobody is queuing up anymore due to the extended wait times.

AKA, what happened when CC opened ranked.
    Fresh Snow - 1201 Gaming/ Jungler for Aware Academy (NA-Infinite Crisis)
    League of Legends - SSF4AE - KOF13 - IC - Black Ops 2 - CS:GO