Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Considering Harmony

Gotham Heights Ranked Weekend Experience

Hello,

I am just here to post my comments on the experience of this weekends ranked GH. Was very happy to see this finally be avaliable.
    Once the server turned on at 6 pm I hit that que hard on and probably had 10 of the best GHs matches to date with some great experienced players. Matches were no longer those 5-10 min wins but longer cat and mouse games that ranged about 20-30 mins that could have played out either way. That's about as far as the fun went. Once reaching 1500 ELO ques on Saturady were non existent 60 mins + ques and only got to play 1 match. Sunday also was plagued by 30+min ques the only time you can acually get into a match was in the evening after a 8-10 min wait and got matched up with first timers and afkers buh-by ELO. I played that way for few hours of on Sunday that resulted in probably equal frustrating games in GH that were on par with facing groups in non-ranked GH.

What I found that hands down the thing that sucked the most was new players starting with 1200 ELO. After a long queue your are pretty much going to get one in the game. Giving everyone 1200 at the start even the level 10's was a bad idea... so many low level players got thrown into the mix of experienced players that made teams extemely frustrated with their performances. There needs to much harder barrier for entry into ranked mode.

AFK players still showing up a lot......free wins for other teams. Then there is the ole player going 0-4 and afking that plagued quite a few games.

The win ELO gain to loss ratio is insane 1 loss becomes 3 wins.... This is painfull especially because of issues said above.

Observations:

1) Man oh man did ADCs run rampart in later picks on Sunday. Bans changed from DD,Arc GL, Supes, API to pretty much quad ADCs. There needs more defense against attack damage. The only logical pick to me slow down ADC teams was to picky Ivy Prime almost every game to mitigate some of the damage.

2) Ban phase could be sped up a bit.

This is what I found in my experience on the GH Ranked weekend.

Re: Gotham Heights Ranked Weekend Experience

even the bad games were fun for me....not once did I see a surrender..and somany comeback wins, or a comeback, from a comeback..trully fantastic games..the only prob I had,
    i have on reg GH anyhow....If I dont tank, whoever does Builds some or all dmg, and generally fails as a Tank..thank god I luv every tank in this game lol(( meaning I luv the champs..but alot of peeps who play tanks seem ta fail..sigh..))
    Yes..over NINE THOUSAND!!

also..Consider Ham as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalicious View Post
    Hello,

I am just here to post my comments on the experience of this weekends ranked GH. Was very happy to see this finally be avaliable.
    Once the server turned on at 6 pm I hit that que hard on and probably had 10 of the best GHs matches to date with some great experienced players. Matches were no longer those 5-10 min wins but longer cat and mouse games that ranged about 20-30 mins that could have played out either way. That's about as far as the fun went. Once reaching 1500 ELO ques on Saturady were non existent 60 mins + ques and only got to play 1 match. Sunday also was plagued by 30+min ques the only time you can acually get into a match was in the evening after a 8-10 min wait and got matched up with first timers and afkers buh-by ELO. I played that way for few hours of on Sunday that resulted in probably equal frustrating games in GH that were on par with facing groups in non-ranked GH.

What I found that hands down the thing that sucked the most was new players starting with 1200 ELO. After a long queue your are pretty much going to get one in the game. Giving everyone 1200 at the start even the level 10's was a bad idea... so many low level players got thrown into the mix of experienced players that made teams extemely frustrated with their performances. There needs to much harder barrier for entry into ranked mode.

AFK players still showing up a lot......free wins for other teams. Then there is the ole player going 0-4 and afking that plagued quite a few games.

The win ELO gain to loss ratio is insane 1 loss becomes 3 wins.... This is painfull especially because of issues said above.

Observations:

1) Man oh man did ADCs run rampart in later picks on Sunday. Bans changed from DD,Arc GL, Supes, API to pretty much quad ADCs. There needs more defense against attack damage. The only logical pick to me slow down ADC teams was to picky Ivy Prime almost every game to mitigate some of the damage.

2) Ban phase could be sped up a bit.

This is what I found in my experience on the GH Ranked weekend.
    Ban phase needs to be longer because many players didn't know what to do or who to ban. While getting the 411 to them their timer ran out and we lost the ban option.

What perhaps there needs to be is a more "tiered" ELO ranking. Beginners get longer times and maybe more bans. Experts get the less of both. When your ELO hits a "trigger point" you move up/down the tiers.

We need more of a player base for this though. Not enough people yet in game.

The champions I saw banned: DD, AtPI, Sups, Flash, ArcGl, AtGl, GA, Cat - ArcGL was especially tough to go against and prominent on the ban list.
    "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie."
    ("It is magnificent, but it is not war. It is madness.")

~ French Marshal Pierre Bosquet ~

I had a lot of fun this weekend, actually. I normally don't go for Gotham Heights, but it was nice to see so many people playing! I played mostly Superman and AWW, both seemed pretty highly valued, for some obvious reasons.

Here are some of my thoughts.

I thought it was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I loved getting the instapops at first. Apparently instapops were a thing that continued ~1050-1350 elo. Once I hit 1400 elo things got noticeably slower but it wasn't terrible. It was when I hit 1500 and over that my queue times significantly increased. Hour long queue times on average. I also found I was playing with literally the same 15-20 people around that elo.

I found my losses to be absolutely infuriating. There were some people that genuinely surprised me as to how they're able to function at any level in real life. Like, if they're able to clothe themselves I'd be impressed. Along with a lot of others, I felt like my losses were completely out of my control. I couldn't have done anything, I just got exceptionally terrible teammates.

That being said there is a limit to that excuse. It wears thin after a while. I managed to hit 1608 before the queue was disabled. A lot of people overestimate their own skill level. Having difficulty staying above 1200 elo and knowing you belong there can be a tough pill to swallow. There were a few exceptions of players who genuinely got screwed over by matchmaking, and some cases of players getting carried to a much higher elo than what they deserved. For the most part though, players who genuinely deserved to increase in elo moved up. http://imgur.com/Hq3pSn4 In this screenshot Volandum had to carry super hard on gasbat, while his other 3 teammates struggled to outdamage their full tank atrocitus. He did literally over 50% of his team's damage.

That being said I learned a few things about my own play which I appreciated. For some reason I suck *** at that first fight for the top point. I'm a much better bot laner than what I initially gave myself credit for. Also I have a bit of a temper that I need to keep in check.

It was also cool to see how some champs are much better for solo queue play than group play. Aquaman felt really strong thanks to his targeted CC and execution ability. Nightmare sups was not a good champ to try and carry on because of how team dependent he was.

Marksmen were strong but didn't feel obnoxious to me. Mecha Wonder Woman and Harley have always been the strongest marksmen on GH. GA is completely overrated, blue beetle doesn't do enough damage, and gasbat also has some difficulties. Blasters overall felt really strong to me as always. Joker, Green Lantern, and Catwoman were extremely good picks. I think Atomic Green Lantern was overrated as a pick. I liked having him on my team but didn't feel terrible when playing against him. I didn't see Doomsday get through in a single game that I played.

I don't have much to say in terms of the event itself cause my computer decided not to work early Friday so I pretty much missed the whole thing. Though elo gain/loses seem really strange. Before my computer decided to die i got two games into rank GH. I won one and lost one. The one I won gave me like 1225 elo or something like that. After that i lost the next game and it dropped me to 1175. I know i can't take individual performance into consideration, but sometimes I wish I can cause some games are really impossible to carry (mostly because of the gold gains from kills/assist).

the gains seemed to gain momentum, my first 3 wins were like +14 +25 +36, I didn't really pay much attention past that

Considering Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by KoH_Genericke View Post
    Here are some of my thoughts.

I thought it was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I loved getting the instapops at first. Apparently instapops were a thing that continued ~1050-1350 elo. Once I hit 1400 elo things got noticeably slower but it wasn't terrible. It was when I hit 1500 and over that my queue times significantly increased. Hour long queue times on average. I also found I was playing with literally the same 15-20 people around that elo.

I found my losses to be absolutely infuriating. There were some people that genuinely surprised me as to how they're able to function at any level in real life. Like, if they're able to clothe themselves I'd be impressed. Along with a lot of others, I felt like my losses were completely out of my control. I couldn't have done anything, I just got exceptionally terrible teammates.

That being said there is a limit to that excuse. It wears thin after a while. I managed to hit 1608 before the queue was disabled. A lot of people overestimate their own skill level. Having difficulty staying above 1200 elo and knowing you belong there can be a tough pill to swallow. There were a few exceptions of players who genuinely got screwed over by matchmaking, and some cases of players getting carried to a much higher elo than what they deserved. For the most part though, players who genuinely deserved to increase in elo moved up. http://imgur.com/Hq3pSn4 In this screenshot Volandum had to carry super hard on gasbat, while his other 3 teammates struggled to outdamage their full tank atrocitus. He did literally over 50% of his team's damage.

That being said I learned a few things about my own play which I appreciated. For some reason I suck *** at that first fight for the top point. I'm a much better bot laner than what I initially gave myself credit for. Also I have a bit of a temper that I need to keep in check.

It was also cool to see how some champs are much better for solo queue play than group play. Aquaman felt really strong thanks to his targeted CC and execution ability. Nightmare sups was not a good champ to try and carry on because of how team dependent he was.

Marksmen were strong but didn't feel obnoxious to me. Mecha Wonder Woman and Harley have always been the strongest marksmen on GH. GA is completely overrated, blue beetle doesn't do enough damage, and gasbat also has some difficulties. Blasters overall felt really strong to me as always. Joker, Green Lantern, and Catwoman were extremely good picks. I think Atomic Green Lantern was overrated as a pick. I liked having him on my team but didn't feel terrible when playing against him. I didn't see Doomsday get through in a single game that I played.
    I completely agree with you Genericke temper and all . I also noticed from your post but forgot to mention that bottom lane play actually matters in the ranked que **Shocking** I know. I remember some matches where we lost top hard and couldn't retake for a extended period of time, but our bottom player was able to have strong pushes with a tower cap every once in a while and started our come back late in the game down 150-350 to eventually win.

Being able to have him sit down there and keep the lane pushed with little to no farm for the enemy player has a huge advantage not so much in a 10 match but once you start reaching 20-30 mins they become that extra push to win a team fight

Quote Originally Posted by KoH_Genericke View Post
    Welcome to the club, that's called ¨solo que¨

Quote Originally Posted by RealName View Post
    Welcome to the club, that's called ¨solo que¨
    Oooooh that's spicy.