We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Impressions from one Noob

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time ‘til touch down brings me round again to find I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh no, no, no, I'm a rocket man
    Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone

TLR Sounds like your in the wrong genre of game my friend, id suggest call of duty.
    Connect with me!

Protector

I haven't played all that many games of this game so I understand where the OP is coming from. The worst thing about MOBAs is that players that know what they are doing and have gotten used to these games more often than not treat new players (us noobs) like ****. There's very few people that are actually willing to say to somebody who's new that it's cool to make mistakes and have no worries... after all, ITS JUST A GAME.

The amount of anger that gets tossed around in these games is insane. I mean, seriously, the things that people get upset over. If somebody doesn't do the right build, others feel that they have to tell them "they suck"... if they go the wrong way on the map than "they suck"... etc, etc...

One of the worst elements of these games is how ... I guess "In your face" these games are. From the get go people don't have any real time to read what the items do, or even really what our powers do and it does take more than just a few games to begin to get a grasp on all these different elements.

The thing us noobs need to do, if we want to learn how to play these games better, is to not give up... and to study these games. Watch videos on YouTube, go to twitch and watch the live streams, and play the game and who cares what others think.

Eventually a person either will get better, and gain better enjoyment from the games, or they won't. In the end it's up to each and every single person to find their joy of the games they play and determine if they want to keep playing them or not. What does suck though is that despite everything us noobs might do to make the game more fun for ourselves... we still need help and understanding from others who are not noobs.

Non noobs need to understand that while they are no longer noobs... they were noobs at one time also. They should always at least try to remember that they were once feeders who ran the wrong way and clicked the wrong way trying to figure the game out, and didn't make the 'most correct builds' their first times, and were new to these games also.

Telling us who don't quite understand these games to "put up or shut up" is exactly part of the problem of this genre of game. That's not understanding at all... that's just Ego. That kind of attitude is the reason why there is so much toxicity in this genre of game. Of course, the OP's response in the game he was playing to basically screw over the rest of the players is also cause to the toxicity and is ultimately unnecessary. The very thing he was angry about he ended up causing in others. (that's pretty much how the OP read to me).

This is a Game. Games are supposed to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiris View Post
    Telling us who don't quite understand these games to "put up or shut up" is exactly part of the problem of this genre of game. That's not understanding at all... that's just Ego. That kind of attitude is the reason why there is so much toxicity in this genre of game. Of course, the OP's response in the game he was playing to basically screw over the rest of the players is also cause to the toxicity and is ultimately unnecessary. The very thing he was angry about he ended up causing in others. (that's pretty much how the OP read to me).
    OP is a quitter. People who rage quit because someone was mean to them on the internet, especially in a team game, and ESPECIALLY when you can hit a single button and ignore them forever (aside: are they going to implement a "oops didn't mean to ignore this guy" button?) are just sad.

I think if you polled these forums and asked if you wanted a quitter or a newb that fights it out til the end of the game trying to get better, 75% would say the latter.

The other 25% are surrender monkeys that I wouldn't want on my team anyways.
    twitch.tv/hammerreborn

I think people are not giving this enough thought and are falling into exactly what the OP is talking about. You see that he leaves a game and suddenly everyone is on some moral high-ground. Everyone is ignoring the message behind this, as well as everything else he's saying. The game is not fun for newbies because everyone is so damn critical. I've been saying this for weeks now, but new players come in and see people complaining aggressively or passive-aggressively and decide it's not worth their time and leave.

We have no moral high-ground to stand on. The community makes the game terrible for them, and it's their time so they choose to leave because why would you stick around for the benefit of jerks? There are those who say that leaving is wrong no matter what, but are blind to reality. Wrong or not, the new players will leave because people are dicks and being more of a dick about it is just going to make it happen more.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerreborn View Post
    OP is a quitter. People who rage quit because someone was mean to them on the internet, especially in a team game, and ESPECIALLY when you can hit a single button and ignore them forever (aside: are they going to implement a "oops didn't mean to ignore this guy" button?) are just sad.

I think if you polled these forums and asked if you wanted a quitter or a newb that fights it out til the end of the game trying to get better, 75% would say the latter.

The other 25% are surrender monkeys that I wouldn't want on my team anyways.
    This guy is a perfect example, everything he's said is anti-fun and egotistical. New players need to learn and (as people love to wave around in defense of the no-leaving mentality) it's a team game. Helping players learn is part of a team game, the door swings both ways. If your team is mean to you for being new, where is the "team?" Do we all know what a team is?
    Last edited by Paradigm; 02-20-2014 at 01:18 PM.
    twitch.tv/paradigm_cg

The only gripe I have is that some of things the OP is complaining about makes no sense. I'll admit I rage at times, but I'll ping you twice, tell you what to do in chat, and try put you in the best position to succeed multiple times before I start getting mad. Also running away with full bars from an even fight will get a report from me. Too many new players do that, and it gets annoying.

With that said I am still just re-entering into this strange world of MOBAs again while I wait for new content releases of some of the games I play. I'll admit I'm still learning, and you aren't suddenly good overnight. My lines vary all the time. Sometimes it's 3/2/9, 1/13/3, 3/5/37, 12/0/13, or 20/12/3, but it always depends on many different circumstances. And yes, those are some of line numbers I've had this week.
    The Coast City Nightly Games!
    A Coast City Guide: Updates SoonTM
    The Definition of SoonTM

I am a Volunteer Firefighter/EMS, and on the rescue teams. If there is a major emergency, and I have to leave mid-game, please don't grief. Remember, I'd rather not leave, and I am going to risk my life so someone can make it home safely, or have a home to go back to.

Strange word of the day; Querimonious: Full of complaints
    If you win a spelling bee due to "Strange word of the day", I receive 2% of the winnings.
    Most Colorful Forum Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Dycer94 View Post
    The only gripe I have is that some of things the OP is complaining about makes no sense. I'll admit I rage at times, but I'll ping you twice, tell you what to do in chat, and try put you in the best position to succeed multiple times before I start getting mad. Also running away with full bars from an even fight will get a report from me. Too many new players do that, and it gets annoying.
    You're a minority in "not getting mad," that doesn't invalidate his point. People do get really, unreasonably, mad. Newbies run away with full health because they are new and have no idea what they are doing, not out of spite. We have to remember that, it's not like they're out to get us.
    twitch.tv/paradigm_cg

sometimes they don't even run, i remember when i first start playing i was just there "basic attacking" whoever got in my way.
    then i learned how to use my skills, and objetives of the map, learned Top was the "up" part of the map and bot was the "down" part of the map, and mid... the middle... those times when the last big meteorit could take away 100 health from the enemy power core... those days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    You're a minority in "not getting mad," that doesn't invalidate his point. People do get really, unreasonably, mad. Newbies run away with full health because they are new and have no idea what they are doing, not out of spite. We have to remember that, it's not like they're out to get us.
    You are having tech issues, want to report a bug, report a player, your key isn't working or got any comment or feedback? go here
    http://support.infinitecrisis.com/ic.../ticketNew.asp

Submit a ticket, to do all listed above.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

He is a doctor and he is really awesome.
    He is Dr_aw3some check his stream http://www.twitch.tv/basileus_reges

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

He is a little cyco, but when he sings, he sings like SYCO ANGELS
    He is Sycogenesis, check his stream. http://www.twitch.tv/sycogenesis

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

When you watch his stream, you'll think about the future, the children, and he's helping them with every minute he plays
    He is Kaymak check the stream! http://www.twitch.tv/gotenks6663

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    This guy is a perfect example, everything he's said is anti-fun and egotistical. New players need to learn and (as people love to wave around in defense of the no-leaving mentality) it's a team game. Helping players learn is part of a team game, the door swings both ways. If your team is mean to you for being new, where is the "team?" Do we all know what a team is?
    Telling people to not rage quit is anti-fun and egotistical?

Man, I'd really hate to be in a game with you. It's probably a ghost town if you think the rampant afking/quitting makes for a good game.
    twitch.tv/hammerreborn

Quote Originally Posted by BigOlMoose View Post
    So, MOBAs huh? This is... ridiculous. I mean... I don't even know where to begin..

Oh well...
    I'm not a MOBA player(well guess I am now.) and since the creation of the genre destroyed Warcraft III I actually never liked it much. I love DC and decided to try IC though and here are some of my considerations of your rant.

Funnily enough this is the game I've met the nicest people EVER. I have some stream regulars in my friend list and play with them from time to time. They never once raged or cried about mine or anyone else's bad matches or moba inexperience, much to the contrary what I see the most is people recommending dawnbase and trying to help new people.

Ranged characters are pretty easy to pick on Heights, especially if they're defending. Some can poke you away from a point but you need to react fast and jump them. It's possible to at least make them withdraw the range is not that big that it completely destroys melee. I play mostly Batman and have found a decent success rate after I learned the game and had a good build to run with. Learning the artifacts is paramount to success. Sometimes you need power armor, sometimes you need attack armor to be able to survive a good blaster or marksman. Most melee characters have a skill that can close the gap somehow so you probably just need more experience with it.

The meta-game. A meta-game is an overall default strategy for a matchup that has reviewed and repeated success, that's why it becomes the meta-game. Coming from Starcraft I can appreciate deviations from the meta-game but in this here game since the variation will be mostly the types of heroes on each side the meta-game is more rigid and the team following it will usually have an advantage. I don't know if meta-games shift often in MOBAs but know that there's a very good reason for it to exist. You might think "I'm gonna be innovative" but if the enemy team performs better on Heights the one on the bottom can usually contain the 2 from getting his point and the 3 at the top will be utterly crushed if the skill levels are somewhat close.

PS - In Starcraft and other RTS we actually quit once a match is over with a GG, I have absolutely NO idea why this isn't a thing in DOTA or IC... Hopefully it'll be added at some point, I have seem some nice unexpected comebacks on both maps though.
    Last edited by Aurun; 02-20-2014 at 05:57 PM.