Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Turbine Customer Support IC_Bulwark's Avatar

Re: A couple ways to stop AFKers. {MSG for Turbine}

Thanks for linking my post! We've done a ton of research on the afk/leaver problem and we wanted to get more of that information in front of all our players.
    Infinite Crisis Support Page and FAQ
    855-WBGAMES (2pm - 6pm EST Monday - Friday)
    Follow me on Twitter @IC_Bulwark

-Bulwark

So all a person has to do is say, "I afked because I had a connection problem" even when they afk constantly. Also, I love how they say it's rare when it happens 10 games out of 20. Also, this mass majority is not due to connection issues or any of that, it's due to people not want to ruin their k/d or giving up on the match, or just leaving their keyboard to go do something else.

Everytime someone says something about afking, the immediate response from some of the community members and IC staff is connection. I just find this wrong as I played this game a lot and do not find that the case at all.

People who truly afk are not rare, they are very common, and people who have connection issues usually rejoin the game, or state "I'm sorry, I'm having connection issues."
    Clicky-----> What I do to Batman! Nerf The Fastest Man Alive! History of Harley! <-----Clicky

Turbine Customer Support IC_Bulwark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wehrmacht_Bunny View Post
    So all a person has to do is say, "I afked because I had a connection problem" even when they afk constantly. Also, I love how they say it's rare when it happens 10 games out of 20. Also, this mass majority is not due to connection issues or any of that, it's due to people not want to ruin their k/d or giving up on the match, or just leaving their keyboard to go do something else.

Everytime someone says something about afking, the immediate response from some of the community members and IC staff is connection. I just find this wrong as I played this game a lot and do not find that the case at all.

People who truly afk are not rare, they are very common, and people who have connection issues usually rejoin the game, or state "I'm sorry, I'm having connection issues."
    We provide technical assistance when a player is first reported as being AFK, but if there are additional reports after the first we follow through with warnings, merit removal and bans. We don't see much value in banning someone for having been AFK in a single match, which is why we start by offering assistance to technical issues. We can also usually tell if someone has left a match on their own accord of if they had a hard crash.

It is rare for players with more than a handful of matches to AFK. Those AFKs represent less than 10% of all AFK activity, but it is certainly still a major problem that can be resolved. For those cases, reporting the player who went AFK will result in review and action by the moderation team.

Let me know if any additional clarification is needed.
    Infinite Crisis Support Page and FAQ
    855-WBGAMES (2pm - 6pm EST Monday - Friday)
    Follow me on Twitter @IC_Bulwark

-Bulwark

The issue here, and in every "how to fix the AFKer problem" is that everyone seems to be willfully ignoring the fact that the players AFKing are the newbies that have nothing invested in the game. If they get banned they aren't getting punished, they'll just not play the game because they are new and are already not enjoing it (if they keep leaving enough to get the hypothetical-ban)

Edit: Didn't read past the first page. IC_Bulwark said what I was saying. Taking what he said, he's basically saying 90% of the AFKs are those with less than "a handful of matches."
    Last edited by Paradigm; 02-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Ohh I thought he was saying 90% of all afking is because someone has connection issues, which is BS on so many levels I'm not even going to address them.
    Clicky-----> What I do to Batman! Nerf The Fastest Man Alive! History of Harley! <-----Clicky

I guess you could read it like that, but that makes no sense so it couldn't be that.

Joining Harmony

Quote Originally Posted by Wehrmacht_Bunny View Post
    It's not a random draw, it goes to top to bottom. So if someone has WW it will pick Arcane GL, it never picks a random champion.

And I've think I've seen you before in a match afked. Not sure, I just think I have.
    it's as random as I can get with the current system.

I suggest a reward system for players who consistently start and finish matches. For example, if in one week a player has completed forty (40) matches without quitting, he should get a considerable Merit reward, in appreciation for being a true team player.
    Steam: admonish

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdcore View Post
    if they implement a system like league of legends where they gain more xp so they can stay up with the team while they are afk that would be great. or they can do something like dota where they let you guys quit the game if one person afks for more than 5Mins i think.

they may not do either of these but these are 2 really good concepts that can use / play around with and make better.
    its so annoying trying to build a win loss record when so many of your lossess come in the form of AFKs ..... maybe they should just throw out the match for the losers stats or put it in some other category .. Loss via AFK ... win via AFK ..... I dont know ... but it sucks for sure right and is almost at the unplayable when coupled with ****** match making

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post

Edit: Didn't read past the first page. IC_Bulwark said what I was saying. Taking what he said, he's basically saying 90% of the AFKs are those with less than "a handful of matches."
    ok well then this stat is even more troubling in the effect that the game is drawing so many new players only to have them give up and walk away from the game ? sounds like we need Bots really fast to break in this new population.

Here it is a nutshell ... You played League or other MoBAs ?? you are probably going to give this game a shot ?

You read comics and like the DC universe and never tried a MoBA ? you are probably going to try this game, only to be faced with a far more veteran gaming population then you were expecting, also with a steep learning curve
    Last edited by Gruwolf; 02-25-2014 at 07:25 AM.